Health, Body, & Wellness Got questions about your health or an ailment? Maybe just looking to figure out what nutrition program is right for you? Ask away in here, as Hyundai Aftermarket's resident medical advisor answers your questions.
For more info, please go to http://www.dcberk.com

"fixing" down's syndrome

Old 07-23-2013, 12:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2011 elantra md
Default "fixing" down's syndrome

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/20...mosome-therapy

In an elegant series of experiments, US researchers took cells from people with DS and silenced the extra chromosome that causes the condition. A treatment based on the work remains a distant hope, but scientists in the field said the feat was the first major step towards a "chromosome therapy" for Down's syndrome.

this should be interesting........ since the treatment or 'cure' will have to happen in utero the two sides will argue:

1) (the "let's fix it" side) when a fetus has cancer or a defective heart then we try to fix that, so why not fix down's?

and

2) (the "it's unethical" side) my baby with down's is perfect and doesn't need "fixing"

I know a few kids with down's and they're fantastic people, but if anyone thinks they *prefer* to be handicapped and generally unhealthy then they're crazy. the only people who think "down's babies are perfect" are zealot parents with an "I'm a better parent/person because I'm taking care of a down's baby!"
Old 07-23-2013, 02:28 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

Awesome. It will be a nice thing to eradicate.

+Rep for sig. Ohh gawd...
Old 07-23-2013, 09:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: X3 Sprint, S-Coupe Turbo

Genetics? Playing god? Ban cures.