Health, Body, & Wellness Got questions about your health or an ailment? Maybe just looking to figure out what nutrition program is right for you? Ask away in here, as Hyundai Aftermarket's resident medical advisor answers your questions.
For more info, please go to http://www.dcberk.com

Bloomberg's next target, cigarette sales

Old 03-19-2013, 04:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2007 Tiburon
Default Bloomberg's next target, cigarette sales

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com...ainst-tobacco/

(CNN) - New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg said his latest push to keep tobacco products out of sight is an attempt to de-glamorize the appeal of the product for kids and teenagers.

"Smoking is going to kill these kids," he said Monday on CNN's "The Lead" in an interview with Chief Washington Correspondent Jake Tapper. "It's going to leave them with not the great career prospects that you'd like, not the education that you'd like." They mayor said they're trying to dissuade customers from viewing cigarettes as "normal." "Cigarettes are not a normal product," he added. "They're a product that kills the people that use it. And there are very few products like that." Bloomberg announced the public health initiative earlier Monday, a week after a New York judge invalidated the city's ban on sugary drinks in containers larger than 16 ounces.

The new tobacco legislation is made up of two bills: One that would require retailers to keep tobacco products hidden in stores, another would increase penalties for retailers who sell tobacco without a license or fail to pay tobacco taxes. It would also prohibit the sale of discounted tobacco products. The three-term mayor said Monday the new bills are designed to continue New York City's record in reducing smoking.

I hate smoking, but damn, demanding stores keep cigarettes out of sight because they are not "normal" products seems absurd.
Old 03-20-2013, 12:04 AM

Vehicle: X3 Sprint, S-Coupe Turbo

These are what our cigarette packets look like:

They are also kept out of sight from consumers. Sales have decreased since introducing both pieces of legislation.
Old 03-20-2013, 11:47 AM

Vehicle: 1991 Impulse RS

Here in Canada it's the same. Cigarettes are kept out of view. I don't think it's a bad idea, the less people who start smoking the better. It's bad for you and a waste of time and money. (and I'm a smoker!)
Old 03-20-2013, 01:13 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

yes, because hiding cigs behind the counter are gonna make people stop smoking....
Old 03-20-2013, 01:23 PM

Vehicle: MC + RD2 + AW11 + 944 = 4x Win

I don't think the goal is to stop existing smokers, but to detour would-be smokers.

Simply making it less accessible is a good start, but this will make them more taboo and therefore more desirable for younger smokers.
Old 03-20-2013, 01:29 PM

have non smokers ever gone into a kwik mart and said "you know what i haven't had before? cancer, maybe I should pick up a pack while im here"
Old 03-20-2013, 01:41 PM

Vehicle: MC + RD2 + AW11 + 944 = 4x Win

Slim Jims seem to sell pretty well, so yes.
Old 03-20-2013, 02:10 PM

touche
Old 03-21-2013, 03:09 AM

Vehicle: X3 Sprint, S-Coupe Turbo

Sales did decrease after putting them out of view

Then they decreased again after making the packs ugly

I was also critical at first, but it did work.