Hyundai Aftermarket

Hyundai Aftermarket (https://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/forum/)
-   General Performance & Hyundai Chat (https://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/forum/general-performance-hyundai-chat-10/)
-   -   Winter Car Storage (https://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/forum/general-performance-hyundai-chat-10/winter-car-storage-46540/)

Bullfrog 01-23-2008 12:34 PM

You could rename it after winter to something like "How to store your car long term" or something like that.

Kantizuni 01-23-2008 12:41 PM

I've had my Tib stored all of this winter, and I live in northern Alberta. It gets much colder here than it does in Ontario. smile.gif We have a normal average of -20C through January with bad days going below -40C.

I have mine out in my unheated garage, with the battery disconnected. That's all the storage i've ever been taught to do.
But as soon as spring comes, i'll be doing a full service on it.

The flat spots on the tires should only happen if you store it for a longer period of time. 5 months -shouldn't- cause that unless your tires are half-flat when you store, or they are known to leak.

katecauzintrouble 01-23-2008 12:48 PM

Thanks for all the info guys, and clearing that plastic thing up.

^^ When you mean full-service can you go into details of what exactly you get done/do

REDZMAN 01-23-2008 12:53 PM

So wait, I get to flog you?

LOL

WOOHOO!

Anyways, for the harsh winters here in New Mexico, I usually drive it like every other day and wash it less frequently.

nana.gif

Bullfrog 01-23-2008 01:42 PM

Must be nice Z man. So thats no scraping ice daily in the morning off the windows? Frozen locks? Freezing cold leather seats, Rust...

Your missing a whole bunch of fun then! laugh.gif

Xlotus-

http://www.rdtiburon.com/index.php?showtop...2;tune+up\
Here is a link to a pretty good post about tune ups. It has some good information in it, some stuff will not need to be done every winter but It has a lot of good info on keeping your car in good condition.If you cant remember the last time you did some of these then there is no time like spring to have a few good weekends with your car getting ready for summer.

Ericy321 01-23-2008 08:04 PM

I put it mine up on stands in my storage garage I rent. Also make sure the antifreeze is strong enough to protect it. Also disconnect the battery and put seafoam in the gas tank to keep it good. Should start right up when you get it.

tibbymat 02-27-2008 01:52 PM

i drive me car till it feels like snow is gonna fall... i will never wiat too long. but i take it to a storage place and get a 10 x 15 stall and leave it in there with a car cover. i stop by and visit it every 2 weeks or month and start it up and drive it around the storage lot a little bit and then tuck her back in for a nap tongue.gif then when i bring it out i doiuna full service and fluid change and then shes good to go!

Tibbychick 02-27-2008 01:59 PM

lol, I drive it, in snow, cold, rain, whatever. Last year while I was in Toronto I drove it to school everyday, but had the stock rims on it. This year, back in NY, I'm driving it, and didn't bother to take the good rims off. It's been fine so far, luckily I've had off from work on the days when it snowed bad (all what, 2 days maybe). I had to drive it through upstate NY in a snow storm, and got salt all over it, but then 2 days after I got back down to NY we had a 60 degree day and I was able to wash it all off.

My husband stores his cars all over the place, I think one is at a friend's cottage up north, and the other 3 are in our underground parking garage. He drives the one, and the other two sit. He starts them up from time to time. We can't wait to get our own place with garage, but it'll most likely be a 1 car with our budget, so we're gonna end up fighting over it.

Rixshark 02-27-2008 02:07 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>i drive me car till it feels like snow is gonna fall... i will never wiat too long. but i take it to a storage place and get a 10 x 15 stall and leave it in there with a car cover. i stop by and visit it every 2 weeks or month and start it up and drive it around the storage lot a little bit and then tuck her back in for a nap then when i bring it out i doiuna full service and fluid change and then shes good to go!</div>

^ I do pretty much the same thing, other than driving it around the lot. I rented a stall in the basement of an "abandoned" building. Its heated, and I have access 24/7. Theres also a lot of older guys that restore their cars in this "basement", so theres always people around incase I have to jack the car up, and get underneath it.

Tibbychick 02-27-2008 02:17 PM

^hey Rick how much is rent a month there?