General Performance & Hyundai Chat If you can't figure out which performance/modifications catagory to put your post in, then put it here. Also use this are to discuss general things about your Hyundai.

What are you guys using to heat your garages?

Old 01-05-2018, 03:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2005 Tiburon
Default What are you guys using to heat your garages?

It's been cold. Not just any cold but arctic cold in the minus levels. If you have to work on something in your garage, what are you all using to keep the garage warm? Electric space heaters? Kerosene heaters? Fireplaces?
Old 01-10-2018, 09:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2007 Elantra

Kerosene heaters are your best solution. Space heaters wont make a dent in the temperature if it's really cold.
Old 01-10-2018, 09:33 AM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Vehicle: 1999 Hyundai Tiburon

Be VERY careful with kerosene. I literally almost killed myself using one. Thought I had enough ventilation, almost passed out working on my truck. If I hadn't made it outside for fresh air, I wouldn't be here today.

A draw back from using kerosene or propane is it also dumps huge amounts of moisture in your garage. Enough to make it rain!! In your garage! The very best is natural gas if you have lines available for it and have the proper exhaust and ventilation for it.

Your safest bet is to use 220v electric if you can. I don't have 220 yet, so right now i just installed 2 110v infrared shop heaters by comfort zone. They are ceiling mounted so out of the way. My breakers seem to handle them on high just fine and heat my area around the front of my car and workbench nicely.

One thing to note, if you are hitting below 0 highs, you will have a tough time heating anything up unless your garage is insulated. Even a little helps. My garage is not insulated, but I went ahead and insulated my aluminum garage door and it made a big difference in the summer and winter. It stopped acting like a huge heat sink and cold sink!