External Appearance Modifications to the exterior of your car. Body Kits, Head lights/bulbs, tail lights/bulbs, spoilers, antennas, sidemarkers, etc.

Help, Brights Dont Work

Old 12-10-2009, 09:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

So the brights havent worked on my black rd2 since I got it and I need to sell the car asap so I need to fix them. Heres what happens:

When I turn the brights on with the multifunction switch, the lows stay on and the indicator for brights lights up on the dash.
When I have no lights on and use the bright flash on the switch, the lows come on.

Heres what Ive done:
Tried another switch - no change
Put power directly to brights - bulbs work
Swapped relay - no change

Im thinking I pay possibly have a ground issue but I can not find where to look at all. I know the relay is clicking with the switch. Any help is very appreciated. Thanks guys.
Old 12-10-2009, 10:29 AM

Vehicle: 2000/Hyundai/Tiburon

It sounds like the wires for your high beams might have gotten crossed with the wires for your lows. When you go to switch to highs, the light comes on because it thinks you're getting power to the highs, when really all that power is going through the cross to the lows.

Basically like your high beams aren't even in the circuit.
Old 12-10-2009, 10:55 AM

Vehicle: 2006 Pontiac GTO

I'll try to remember to check the schematics when I get home, to see if there can be a simple explanation for this.. It sounds pretty weird though
Old 12-10-2009, 11:03 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Tiburon

This isnt anything like the rear light being out causing issues type wiring is it?( I cant remember what issue it caused, im thinking cruise control) I would have to agree that the high beams are out of the loop.
Old 12-10-2009, 11:27 AM

All other lights work fine. I agree that is seems like they got crossed somehow Im just not sure how that is possible or where to look.
Old 12-10-2009, 10:25 PM

The schematic for the lights is below.

Since the indicator comes on, it means that the relay is getting turned on. There must be something wrong with the wiring to the highs. Both highs use a common ground, so maybe that ground is screwed up? Try tracing the wires, the ground should be somewhere close.

I doubt the highs and lows are "crossed", I think that when you flash, both the lows and the highs are supposed to light up (I have another schematic which draws the flash/low/high "switch" better).

Old 12-15-2009, 05:03 PM

Ya they act crossed but I think that would be near impossible. Im going to try to find that ground but when I was testing I noticed that there was ground at the bulb where the little metal holder goes so I have a feeling its not getting power. Also I think I looked at work and something else shared that same ground and that was working fine. Im looking up location of that ground now and Ill check tomorrow.

The wierd part to me is that the lows do not go off when I flip to high. I feel like Im missing something with the schematic and I should know better since I do this stuff all day.
Old 12-15-2009, 06:17 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Tiburon

I think your best bet is to pull out the multimeter/ohmeter and check wires manually. Pull the relay and check from the relay contact to what I think is an orange wire on the headlamp connector. Then check from the black wire on the headlamp connector to ground. Then try and isolate the issue from there.
Old 12-15-2009, 10:12 PM

Are you sure the lows are supposed to go off when you switch to high? I'm not so sure, I think all of them stay on..
Old 12-16-2009, 09:59 AM

Vehicle: 2000/Hyundai/Tiburon

^^ I'm pretty sure they turn off when you flip to the high beams. When I go home for lunch I'll check, unless someone beats me to it.