Ticking HLA's - Hyundai Aftermarket

Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Ticking HLA's

Old 02-14-2018, 02:27 PM

Vehicle: 1999 Tiburon
Default Ticking HLA's

I've read that if you're an RD owner then at some point in the cars lifetime, you'll probably have ticking HLAs. I also read that this can be solved by taking them out and soaking them in oil. I have a tick that happens once in a while and is not constant. Is there a DIY or can anyone give some light into how difficult it is to tear into the engine and remove them to try and solve this from happening? I dont want it to get worst and if I can nip it in the bud before it does get bad, then all the better.
Old 02-14-2018, 07:52 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Elantra GLS

I made a diy for taking apart and cleaning the HLAs. For help with the camshaft removal you could check out the 1.8 intake cam swap diys.
Old 02-15-2018, 08:12 PM
Super Moderator

Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

They tick a little in normal operation, but TICK only rarely, when starved for oil or gummed up. Every several oil changes, run a solvent flush through before changing the oil. NEVER use the cheapest oil filter (OEM or a good aftermarket only!) and use good oil, and you won't see much ticking once the engine has run long enough to circulate oil after a cold start.

...according to my engine, which is old and only ticks on a cold start when it is really low on oil

If I hear my valvetrain ticking, it always means the engine is low on oil. If yours isn't, try a solvent flush before the next oil change before you start thinking of opening up the valve cover.

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: