Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

rid of buzz with resonator

Old 10-26-2009, 06:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX
Default rid of buzz with resonator

just a heads up. i bought a thrush 30'' thrush glasspack to fix that nasty nasty rice header buzz i had with just a midpipe. it was like $30 so i figured the hi-temp paint would hold up.

eerrrrr.

the whole thing rusted to balls and no more welding work could be done on it. so that's when i got rid of my crappy meineke-destroyed apexi replica (tims) and got myself a cheap stainless ebay one for $100. they shipped super-fast! i didn't want to get the $280 Motoria because the pipe and bend quality is the same only the Motoria has a good muffler whereas the cheap one has some nasty fake one that sticks out. so i wanted a dual tip anyway.

ok well now that i've discovered how to do this stuff finally, i had my exhaust done using scrap parts. i then sprayed screws and mild-steel with rubber undercoating spray ($7 from auto store, worth it) and some hi-temp/ceramic paint on that. no more rust for a while.

so i bought a stainless thrush. 10'' off the 30'' one from before so 20'' of resonator---eeergh again. sh*t buzzed in second and third gear like some rice harvest.

so i took the stainless resonator from the cheap ebay exhaust, measured, cut, and fit it into the straight rear section.

this is how a real exhaust should look. always use flanges to put things together. that way the pipe will always have the same volume and stream.

Question #1: Will this help get rid of the buzz?

Quetion #2: I cut the pipe, bought the flanges myself to save lots of money. How the ^&*$% do I drive my car to a welder now?! Tape it together so it doesn't fall off? I dunno!

Old 10-26-2009, 09:53 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

Resonators will almost always help reduce buzzing.

I would just drive it to the exhaust shop open header. It's fun and reminds you how lucky you are to have a decent exhaust.

It was fun in the Accent at least. smile.gif
Old 10-26-2009, 10:21 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

lol i drove around albuquerque open header for like 2 weeks while waiting for some parts to arrive

makes you appriciate a quality exhaust LOL
Old 10-27-2009, 02:23 AM

yessss! as ace ventura would say, "like a glove!" i think i might duct tape it in an X shape and wrap it around a few times. the reason being i don't want anyone else but me putting it back on behind my back and screwing it up. i'm tired of being screwed around by shops. they don't think and by the time they do something it's too late.

hahahaha thanks!!!!! the video sounds good up until you give it some gas. yeah that does sound awful... oooh yeah terrible. do you know what exactly causes header buzz?

two whole weeks?! oh that's so funny. i can see it all now, everything seemingly quiet from the surface and suddenly (hick farmer voice) "i'll just hop in to muh tractor" kabooom putt puttt puttt like cruella deville

Old 10-27-2009, 08:31 AM
Administrator

I think the buzzing is just what our engines naturally sound like, pissed off bees. Resonators catch the bees for us and only let the honey through. wink.gif
Old 10-27-2009, 01:42 PM

alright!! i took your guys advice and drive it unhooked. it was loud as hell, but since it was cut behind the cat and resonator it wasn't too bad of a drive. first resonator is in place of the mid-pipe. the second one (the one i made) on the diagonal to the right, both stainless steel.

quiet as a bat, fit and snug. no buzz whatsoever. who would know that 13 inches of this could tame down an exhaust so much.

thank you both.

another project i'm working on right now. meguiars fiberglassing those nasty ugly extra holes. then sanding, priming, spraying rims back to silver, and gluing official F2 badges on (instead of those tasteless hub caps).

today it rained. i wanted to see how the car handles on the bottom of my hill. powerslid the piss out of it lol. weird how the back end come out instead of just understeering.
Old 10-27-2009, 04:05 PM
Administrator

The Accent was very tail happy before I got my rear sway bar on there, now i can make it rotate, but I have that choice. Before I was drifting the autox courses more than the 240's, literally.
Old 10-27-2009, 06:47 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Got a clip of your exhaust?
Old 10-28-2009, 12:16 AM

note i go have eibach gk springs in the front, and harder rd springs in the rear with full sway bar kit. before i changed the springs it had a lot more grip for sure.

not yet. but i'm getting a Canon powershot sd780 very soon! records video in 1020 X 768 HD! glad i waited from $300 now to $200.

still not sure on the black one or the silver one :/

Old 10-28-2009, 12:48 AM
Administrator

I've been happy with my Canon PowerShot S2 IS. I take almost as much video with it as pictures. Next camera is this.