Hyundai Aftermarket

Hyundai Aftermarket (https://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/forum/)
-   Engine, Intake, Exhaust (https://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/forum/engine-intake-exhaust-11/)
-   -   Random or Mario (Alpine wastegate q?) (https://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/forum/engine-intake-exhaust-11/random-mario-alpine-wastegate-q-4179/)

Curtas 07-23-2001 10:02 PM

Random or Mario (Alpine wastegate q?)

I was calling around some tuning shops here and found one that will tune the Alpine kit for me after installation (assuming they use the Unichip).

It's $150 an hour for the dyno runs (before and after tuning), and all the chip maps setup. He said full run is 3 hours, if it's just a tweaking session, probably only 1. Is that a good rate?

My real question, though . . . he asked how much boost I wanted to get and what the wastegate diaphram was set for. I told him the kit comes stock at 10psi, but I wanted less. He explained that if the wastegate spring itself was set for 10 psi, we couldn't go under it. Since I am confused as to the difference between the wastegate and boost controller, I figured I'd ask around and see what he was talking about.

Thanks,
a

Terrenotib 07-24-2001 05:54 AM

Aren't most wastegates actuated from the boost controller rather than just by a passive spring?

Random 07-24-2001 05:59 AM

The alpine kit doesn't have a boost controler per se. just a spring loaded wastegate.

Curtas 07-24-2001 06:15 AM

I assume the wastegate is adjustable? Is it a set screw, or is the spring removable?

I read some really cool things about variable boost controllers, I'm wondering if one of them can be added after the fact?

a

Random 07-24-2001 06:37 AM

You would have to add it after the fact. The wastegate spring is not adjustable that I can see.

2K3GT/2K Wagon 07-24-2001 12:20 PM

Curtas, what shop did you find that does dyno runs & tuning, I'm in Alexandria. :cool:

Curtas 07-24-2001 10:16 PM

Pitstop Motorsport (703)212-0900. They are listed in Alexandria, but that could be anywhere from Old Town to Eisenhower to Mount Vernon. I plan on stopping by this or next weekend.

a

2K3GT/2K Wagon 07-25-2001 08:57 AM

Keep us posted. wink.gif

Mario 07-27-2001 05:38 AM

Mine has an adjustable wastegate. It works with a nut that can be thighten or lossen. I havent tried to reduce the boost though. Why would you want to reduce the boost???? 10 psi is ok. You can also buy an inexpensive boost regulator (knob type) so you can play with it from the cockpit.

nobodyuknow 07-31-2001 01:30 PM

Mario, Why is your wastegate ajustable and Randoms not? Did yours not come with the kit? Also, what's wrong with the intercooler supplied with Alpine's kit. I know Spearco makes great intercoolers but why was it worth getting a whol new intercooler when you where supplied with one. Did you just want one bigger or was is the name or...is Alpine's intercooler not that efficient?