Hyundai Aftermarket

Hyundai Aftermarket (https://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/forum/)
-   Engine, Intake, Exhaust (https://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/forum/engine-intake-exhaust-11/)
-   -   New Engine, Or No New Engine. (https://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/forum/engine-intake-exhaust-11/new-engine-no-new-engine-54145/)

Korean_Redneck 01-15-2010 07:39 AM

I was talking to my mechanic about future references on my car. He said that it's not worth putting a new engine in my car. The car is worth $2,000 now and it has a lot of new parts. The newly rebuilt engine plus labor, he said maybe $2,000-$3,000. I consider that cheaper than a $3,000 car where the parts are all shady. I love my Tiburon to death and plan on keeping it until I have a major accident or the wheels fall off.

What are your opinions?

majik 01-15-2010 07:51 AM

Is there a need to put a new engine in it? From what I remember, your car has been touched by God and has like 832,931.24 miles on it without a problem.

Stocker 01-15-2010 08:17 AM

A new engine is an advanced DIY but you can. A rebuilt one could set you back $1k, a fresher used one maybe half that. $3k is with someone ELSE doing your labor. 02.gif

zoned019 01-15-2010 09:39 AM

Why do you think you need a new engine? Have you done a compression test?

"My goal is to have the highest-mileage RD1 Tiburon in the USA with original engine and transmission. "

.... I'm confused.

majik 01-15-2010 12:20 PM

^ lol ^ good point

Korean_Redneck 01-15-2010 08:26 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (zoned019 @ Jan 15 2010, 06:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Why do you think you need a new engine? Have you done a compression test?

"My goal is to have the highest-mileage RD1 Tiburon in the USA with original engine and transmission. "

.... I'm confused.</div>

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (korean_redneck @ Jan 15 2010, 04:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>I was talking to my mechanic about future references on my car.</div>

The highest-mileage is my main goal. If the engine fails, I still want my TIburon; hence, the new engine question.

radu_rd2 01-15-2010 08:50 PM

If you get a used engine from a junker and install it yourself, it is worth it. Putting $2-3k in an old $3k car is obviously not.

lilo shark 01-16-2010 10:58 AM

well, wats cheaper a new engine or rebuilt? used engines aren't always trustworthy.

David Dickson 01-19-2010 07:34 AM

I would first perform a leak down and compression test on your engine before you get into "What-Ifs". A properly maintained engine can last a very long time but some parts just wear out and there is nothing you can do about it. Check your oil pressure and compression and if they are within specs then your still good to go. Once oil pressure starts dropping along with compression it may be time for a simple ring and bearing replacement to get your engine back in tip top shape. Replacing your worn out bearings and piston rings is A LOT cheaper than buying and swapping in a new engine. The engine refresh could even be done with the block still in the car. smile.gif

Stocker 01-19-2010 07:55 AM

Oof, that's rough. Hope you have a good set of ramps or some tall jacks if you want to do a re-ring with the engine in the car. But yes, you can.