Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Kjb Delrin Shifter Bushings Installation ?

Old 10-28-2009, 11:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

The shifter BASE bushings are probably toast. Them and the bushings IN the shifter are the others that go.
Old 10-28-2009, 11:54 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Shifter base bushing? I've seen those on the kjb motorsports website but i really don't know where it goes. I only installed the ones that goes on top of the transmission in the engine bay. Where should i check to see if thy're «toast»? (I've checked the pic on kjb website and it's a GK shifter so it really don't help much)

And btw, i have a b&m knockoff short shifter, dunno if this might be part of the problem.
Old 10-28-2009, 12:20 PM

It's a bit of a PITA to get to, but these bushings go UNDER the black shifter baseplate.

So, you have to remove the shifter, remove the clips holding the shifter cables, remove the 4 large bolts holding the shifter baseplate to the floor, and then you can see the bushings under there.

They are rubber, with metal inserts, and they fall apart like the ones in the engine bay.
Old 10-28-2009, 01:08 PM

Thanks a lot i'll inspect those bushings!

I cheked them and they seem ok...and btw i cant figure out how this could be the solution of my problem since it has nothing to do with cables or anything related to the transmission itself?? Is it really those bushings at the four corners of the pic:

Maybe i'll just get that problem checked by a mechanic...
Old 10-28-2009, 08:06 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Tuscon

are you having trouble downshifting into first? or going into first at a stop?
Old 10-28-2009, 10:22 PM

QUOTE (T-Shark @ Oct 28 2009, 01:08 PM)
Thanks a lot i'll inspect those bushings!

I cheked them and they seem ok...and btw i cant figure out how this could be the solution of my problem since it has nothing to do with cables or anything related to the transmission itself?? Is it really those bushings at the four corners of the pic:

Maybe i'll just get that problem checked by a mechanic...

You did about 1/2 of what I told you to do. You did not remove the shifter plate, or the cables.

3 of the 4 of mine looked fine from the top, they were all torn up and degraded when viewed from the bottom.

When I replaced all of my bushings, including those, my problems went away. I didn't do them all at once mind you, so those DO make a difference. When you go and shift, you'll see the shifter base move. if those bushings are torn up at all or just worn out, it'll give away instead of provide something for you to push against.

May not be your issue though.
Old 10-28-2009, 10:28 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Tiburon

wow, I didn't even know about these
Old 10-29-2009, 07:23 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Tiburon

I have these installed. the old ones do get shredded and make the whole base move when shifting as well.
Old 10-29-2009, 08:44 AM

Vehicle: 2004 Volkswagen Jetta GLI

i have them as well, makes a difference...

only when you dont drive another car with a short shifter, cuz then it makes tibby feel stock and like driving a boat...LOL
Old 10-29-2009, 04:08 PM

QUOTE (Sea-Ray Tech @ Oct 28 2009, 10:06 PM)
are you having trouble downshifting into first? or going into first at a stop?

I can't use my first speed at all, even when the car is parked it just won't engage. Before installing the shifter linkage bushingS, i had to put it in second then in first because it wouln't engage from neutral to first. That problem has been there since i bought the car, but now i just can't use my first speed so it's kinda annoying to always have to start in second when i'm stopped!

I also noticed that the car is idling weird since the installation of the bushingS, sometimes is goes down to 500rpm and goes up to 1500 and so. I've searched and it could be my TPS, I have a dae sung so i'll try to change it for a kefico and see how it goes.

I must have done something really bad when installing those bushings!

Anyway, i'm taking it to a mechanic this afternoon, i'll see what's wrong!

( i hope my english isn't too bad...)

*EDIT*

I went to the garage but they don't have time to check it until monday so i decided to put the old bushings back in to see if it could do something...well i tried but i failed, the stock bushings ending in multiples pieces...so i put the kjb one back in. and now suddently my first gear engage well...i really don't understand what happened!