Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Free Cam Sprocket Mod !

Old 09-03-2004, 03:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Stainless Steel Brake Lines GB #3

I understand even though you have a bigger cam, that the same principles apply.. But i doubt youll be using the stock cam sprocket, and w/ a custom ground cam and sprocket, its not gonna be set advanced like factory.. My whole post was just saying, why the f*** do you do this mod w/ a 9k rpm CUSTOM built valve train tib? YOU WOULDNT!! You might screw w/ the cam timing, but not in this way, atleast id hope not ;/
Old 09-03-2004, 05:09 PM

Default Re: *Warning* - Window Switches + White board marker = BAD

The real advantage for using an adjustable cam sprocket is to fine tune your timing. Not all manufacturers and makers of after-market cams have absolutly precise machining and production staffs... so even if you had two 296 degree (for example) cams from the same company.. they could be off a degree or so from each other when bolted up to the sprocket...

That also applies to the car makers.. no mass produced car (not counting high end exotics here) is put together to put all the power it can make to the ground. Their power delivery curve is a compromise between power/reliability/and the lack of driving skill most people have. Quite simply.. not everyone is happy revving an engine to five grand or more.. Friend of mine swears I am going to "burn up my engine" taking it anywhere near redline...

So basically.. the adjustable sprocket is just one more tool to fine tune the car to your needs and wants.. Simply letting the sprocket move a tooth or two is like using a sledge hammer to pound a nail in when a simple and smaller hammer will do.
Old 09-04-2004, 07:24 AM

Vehicle: 1998 Hyundai Tiburon FX
Default Re: FINALLY; Production of new gen Hyundai super-engines

My bad, I was thinking ignition timing way back up top. Does seem like a good mod though. If I recall corectly I thought that we had non-interferece engines, meaning that no matter what the valves will never hit the pistons due to improper timing.
Old 09-04-2004, 08:03 AM

Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Tiburon

so this does not mess up the motor at all, it just tunes it. also do u lose a lot of engine life by doing this mod?
Old 09-04-2004, 08:23 AM

Default Warped rotors

an adjustable pulley will help you tune the car.. just advancing or retarding the cam one tooth on the sprocket is hit or miss guess work.
Old 09-04-2004, 09:31 AM

for those of you wondering about the 9000rpm point, you are getting confused with reving high and making a higher redline. for those of you with stock ecu's, your rev limit is 6750 and your tach stops at 7-8000rpm.

when you totally build a motor and have it balanced for race spec as i have done, you can find out the highest and safest rpm you can turn your motor.

my motor can safely turn 10000rpm but i doubt i would make any power after 9000 which is why i will turn it to that.

with the cam's, you can rev your motor as high as you want with stock cams but if the cams do not have the durration to allow fuel and exhaust then what would the point be to rev higher. this would cause drop off at a certain point and be useless to do.

now i am not the creator of this cam sprocket mod i just lent my advice to it. i also said what my plans are and why i would be using adjustable cam sprockets. i do not agree with jumping a tooth on the belt or the chain due to the unknown degree of the cams.

lets not make this board like other hyundai boards out there and bash everyones ideas. i have been working on my car for over a year now, getting everything together and spending over $17,000 in the turbo kit, motor, fuel system, ecu, suspention and drive train. i have built 7 second mustangs along with 9 secong honda's but i can honestly say that the tiburon is the sweetest car i am building. mostly because it is my personal car but mainly to bring the hyundai name out.
Old 09-04-2004, 10:11 AM

Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Tiburon
Default Re: FS: Custom COLORED Shift Boots!

thats awesome man, thx for the info. also u might want to start a thread on ur car, just it sounds bad ass. and i think a lot of ppl would like to know what ur doing...
Old 09-04-2004, 12:08 PM

I've never built faster than a 16 second car(Unless my 84 RX-7 GSL-SE can pull of a high 15 second pass, which I doubt atm(the engine caught on fire blehhh). But from what I remember reading in magazines/books and such, Not only do you need long duration cams to spin a motor that high, don't you also need custom valve springs? Maybe its just hype but I thought thats what titanium(and other harder material) valve springs were for.(Could also be for weight I s'pose)
Old 09-04-2004, 01:16 PM

Default Track day at Norwalk Track in Northern Ohio

your exactly right, you need stronger everything. the biggest problem with building a high horse power car is keeping it running. when the top fuel dragters race on a weekend, monday morning they are in the shop tearing the engine and drive train down to inspect everything and replace any slightly worn part.

on our mustangs, we rebuild each motor every week just to race for 3 days and then do it all over again. without stronger valves, springs, valve guides, lifters and everything else in the head, you can bet something is gonna go.

the only weakness i have found in the hyundai motor is the head gasket. with the head gasket being the weakest link, it actually saves the motor. i would rather replace a gasket rather than a motor.

well all of this has gotten way off the subject of the cam mod so to keep in in the general area, what i am trying to fing out is if stock cams can hold up and produce power just as an aftermarket cam would. all of my research so far says that i need better cams due to the duration and lift but i want to see how much more i will gain with just the adjustable sprokets. after that i will be changing to custom cam shafts from comp cams.
Old 09-04-2004, 02:26 PM

Default Re: Crappy MPG on Tiburon

hey i did this mod and my idle is very low and i lost alot of top end power, it doesnt seem right any sugestions?