Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Cracked Exhaust Manifold

Old 05-11-2001, 10:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cracked Exhaust Manifold

Im looking for some help. Just recently my poor tibby recieved a check engine light. Then all of a sudden it started running rough, kinda like a muscle car. Then when I got it home and took off the heat shield I saw a crack. I figured that was the extent of the problem. But for some reason the car keeps getting worse. It use to idle fine and when I revved the engine it sounded like Sh*t, but now even when I just start the car it idles at like 400-600 rpm. any suggestions what other problems there may be? O2 sensors perhaps?
Old 05-11-2001, 10:35 AM

I would replace the manifold, maybe a good time for headers. Then plug your car to the computer reader (dealer) to see if any electronics have thrown an error. You still need to reset to erase the error code.
Old 05-11-2001, 11:17 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

If you are under warranty (7 years 70,000 miles on exhaust) take it to the dealer.

If you are out of warranty, try www.copartfinder.com for a cheap Stock replacement exhaust Manifold. Chances are slim that there will be one on the website in hawaii, but it will at least give you the names and numbers of where to call.

or...Go with Shark Racing or HVE headers.
Old 05-11-2001, 11:21 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

BTW... Depending on how big the crack is....several things could be happening.

If the crack is really big, Air could Get IN with the exhaust and the O2 sensor would register this as "lean" and tell the ECU to dump more fuel. This would cause you to run rich...run like crap and triger a CEL.

If you are running rich, the air/exhaust/gas mix could ignite on the hot exhaust manifold and detonate, possibly damaging your exhaust valves and making the cracks in the EM bigger.

The rich running engine could foul/clog up your O2 sensors, but that would take some mileage with this problem.

Lastly, so much exhaust could be escaping out the cracks that the downstream O2 sensor could be getting a 0 reading, which would trigger the CEL.

CEL = Check Engine Light
02 = Oxygen
Old 05-11-2001, 07:22 PM

Thanks for the responses, and by the way, I have just purchased headers from Sam. Hopefully, from there I can figure out if there is any other problems.

I hope not, cuz I got big plans for my tibby, and I gotta keep it in shape for its big debut. wink.gif
Old 05-12-2001, 02:44 AM

Hey do not forget to check your ECU after fixing, depending on the error you need to reset the code of the ECU, very simple but I advice you to do it to make sure you are not running under an error code. CLEAN ALL ERRORS AFTER FIX TO MAKE SURE EVEN IF CHECK ENGINE LIGHT IS OFF!!!