Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Car Stalls, Won't Start

Old 05-23-2007, 10:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: N/A as in Not Applicable, not Naturally Aspirated

yea, after all that abuse on the engine from trying to figure out what it was, treat it right and do a little inspction/replacement tune-up.

and do you like blue? I have a blue AEM cold air intake with dry flow filter. cool.gif PM's me
Old 05-23-2007, 12:41 PM

well I am sad to say that the maf is not the problem. the cat is choking off the exhaust after running full throttle. I believe the 2nd o2 sensor was wired bad. that is why the maf is going crazy.

is there any way to tell if the cat is plugged. would the car even run if it was plugged?
Old 05-23-2007, 12:54 PM

Vehicle: Hyundai Elantra 2000

yes the car would run, a trick that was gave to me is to un-connect the exhaust before the cat, if the car runs fine, it's the cat ... though it's hard to do with the first cat! lolll
Old 05-23-2007, 01:11 PM

QUOTE (driftkid77 @ May 23 2007, 06:41 PM)
well I am sad to say that the maf is not the problem. the cat is choking off the exhaust after running full throttle. I believe the 2nd o2 sensor was wired bad. that is why the maf is going crazy.
is there any way to tell if the cat is plugged. would the car even run if it was plugged?

Told ya it was the cat wink1.gif

If you pull the piping off you can easily tell if the Cat imploded.... My dad's santa fe did the same thing. The car runs for awhile until it chokes it self to death then it wont start for awhile until all the emissions is out of the system. Just replace the cat.
Old 05-24-2007, 03:35 AM

Vehicle: uhm..... N/A

Easy steps for fixing the cat, unless you need to go through inspection. then your skrewed.

1. remove cat from car
2. set cat facing whatever direction you would like standing so you can see into it
3. Get a sledge hammer and a 2" metal pipe (preferably long enough to run though the cat)
4. beat the guts out of the cat untill you can see strait through it.
5. have a spacer welded into the exhaust to trick the secondary o2 sensor into believeing that everything is copesetic. (or get a wide band o2 sensor and know if there is a problem)
6. reinstall your newly created test pipe and enjoy much freeer flow through the exhaust.

objects needed.

misc wrenches (probably 15mm or 17mm for exhaust bolts)
3/8s drive wratchet
10lb sledge hammer
5' peice of 2" pipe
Old 05-24-2007, 08:11 AM

alright that sounds like a good idea, but I just realized that when I first had the headers put on. and no cat installed the car would stall at idle also.

I was only running off the 2d o2 sensor (had not extended the wire yet all stock) and I did have the short ram installed. could it be that there is soo much extra heat under the hood that it is causing something to go wacko?

and what else could it be if it isn't the maf or the fuel filter?

this is really frustrating!!!!!!
Old 05-24-2007, 08:15 AM

its something in your exhaust system because thats what you changed to cause this problem. The 2nd O2 sensor only reads if your Cat is working... The first O2 sensor reads the actual A/F mixture and has the ECU adjust it. Make sure that first one is working
Old 05-24-2007, 08:26 AM

alright sounds good. I have also noticed that the car will shudder really bad right before it quits... misfiring perhaps....no cel though.

and as for the first o2 sensor I unplugged it when I first had the headers installed and drove around for a week without it. the due to the car running really rich...I had the cat put in.

I put the first o2 sensor after the flex pipe. is that placed too far back? how does hyundai have the first o2 set up? does it also read temp?
Old 05-24-2007, 08:35 AM

Its just a simple 5v sensor I believe. Where you have it shouldnt be bad or at least it wouldn't cause this problem. Pull the cat off and take a look at it, thats the best thing to do right now if you haven't done it yet.
Old 05-24-2007, 02:00 PM

alright I rewirred the 2nd o2 sensor and used heat shrinks. one of the wire was touching the piping and kinda melted a litlle bit

also to off the flex pipe and looked into the cat.(i can't look through it because the shop welded it onto the "straight" pipe.

I can see that the cat is not pure whit .... but rather a light tan. is there any way to tell if its plugged just by looking at the cat? I don't want to punch a hole through it if it isn't the problem... you know .