Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Boring out TB and IM

Old 10-28-2009, 07:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 99 Red Tib
Default Boring out TB and IM

I just picked up a stock IM and TB on ebay for $50 total and I want to bore them out. Does anyone know how much I can go with them before its not good? I'm thinking about doing this myself.
Old 10-28-2009, 10:11 AM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

The IM has plenty of room to handle any size you can bore a stock TB out to. The TB, unless you really know what you're doing I would leave to a pro. You'll need to keep it perfectly round, and you'll need a larger butterfly.
Old 10-28-2009, 12:31 PM

Vehicle: 1998 Hyundai Accent

QUOTE (187sks @ Oct 28 2009, 12:11 PM)
The IM has plenty of room to handle any size you can bore a stock TB out to. The TB, unless you really know what you're doing I would leave to a pro. You'll need to keep it perfectly round, and you'll need a larger butterfly.

realize aswell. TOO big is also bad for porting out an IM..

keep it within reason.. dont go TOO nuts. and also remember IM insides arent supposed to be COMPLETELY PERFECTLY SMOOTH.. needs to have some grit/roughness to it. helps with fuel atomization. basically remove any large casting imperfections and casting marks.

and make sure to gasket match your IM to your head. a lot of cars from the factory have cast manifolds.. and have HORRIBLE gasket matching.

Old 10-28-2009, 01:02 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

It's about not having features that interrupt airflow or cause unwanted turbulence. So, matching TB bore to IM bore and IM to head bore & shape, smoothing flow paths, reducing/removing intrusions and imperfections. If you gasket match the IM runners, make sure the gasket matches the intake ports on the head too. If the gasket has larger openings than either match to the head. If the head has larger openings than the gasket, shape gasket to match intake ports and then gasket match the IM runners.
Old 10-28-2009, 02:36 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

if i remember correctly 58mm was the largest you could go on a stocker tb