DIY Post all Hyundai DIY Guides here. You may also want to read some of our Hyundai Tutorials. Members who follow these guides do so at their own risks.

Elantra Hatch Rear Fogs

Old 03-12-2006, 08:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2005 Hyundai Elantra GT 5-door
Default Elantra Hatch Rear Fogs

There have been times I've been caught in foggy or heavy rain conditions and get frustrated about not being able to see the car in front of me. Then I found out that the Elantra hatchback included the bulbs for the Euro rear fog lights. At first I thought it would neat to hook them up to my brake lights so that instead of left corner, right corner and CHMSL, I had left corner, left center, right center, right corner and CHMSL. I had it wired like that until this afternoon.

I decided to add the front fogs to my GLS and got to thinking... I want rear fogs too! So I disconnected the center brights on the hatch from the brake circuit and ran a wire up to the dashboard area along the left sill. (This is actually very easy and I recommend it to people who are wiring amps and want to route the wires "professionally". There is more room on the right side for people running big wires, FIY.)

Anyway, I checked the passenger compartment fuse box and there is a dedicated circuit marked R/Fog or something like that. And it's a hot circuit. So I plan to hook the wire run up from the rear fogs to that circuit through a switch.

I still need to get the front fogs but I have some picked out and will be copying the mounting concept used by a guy on another forum.

When it's all connected, I plan to control it like this: There will either be a DPDT toggle or rocker switch, or two separate switches, mounted on the blank near the panel lights dimmer. Assuming it's two switches, one will be powered off the marker lights and will power a relay for the front fogs. That circuit will provide power to the relay for the rear fogs, so when the front fogs are on, the rear fogs can be used as well.... or the rears can be shut off it it really isn't bad visibility conditions and I'm just stylin' with the front fogs. (If I use a DPDT switch, it will be set up so one direction will be fronts only; the other will be front and rear; and center will be off.)

Here's a schematic I've come up with:

Old 03-12-2006, 09:00 PM

Forgot to mention: I took pics and will post them when I get a chance.
Old 05-09-2006, 07:07 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Doohickie @ Mar 12 2006, 11:00 PM) </div><div class='quotemain'>Forgot to mention: I took pics and will post them when I get a chance.</div>
Wow... I forgot I posted this here. I'm still working on writing up the DIY for installing fogs, including wiring up the rear fogs. It will eventually be posted on DFWHyundais.com.