DIY Post all Hyundai DIY Guides here. You may also want to read some of our Hyundai Tutorials. Members who follow these guides do so at their own risks.

Diy: Make Your Headlights Brighter

Old 02-08-2008, 07:49 PM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

<span style="font-size:14pt;line-height:100%">Introduction:</span>

The stock headlight takes only 1/2 of the beam and turns it into your headlight's beam. The inside of the projector is a dull, dark, metallic color. I felt it could use some improvement.

I came up with this way to more effectively use the light inside the headlamp assembly. It turns the inside silver, reflects the light back onto the reflector and eventually out of the projector assembly instead of having about 1/2 of the light absorbed by the projector's walls.

<span style="font-size:14pt;line-height:100%">You will need:</span>
standard tools
scotchbrite pad
self-etching or high temp primer
Duplicolor high-heat ceramic paint- Aluminum Color
alcohol
razor blade

<span style="font-size:14pt;line-height:100%">Disassembly:</span>
1. Start by removing the bumper http://www.rdtiburon.com/index.php?showtopic=62

2. remove connectors supplying power to the headlamp.

3. remove the 4 10mm bolts securing the headlamp to the body

4. place headlamp in oven for 1 minutes at 350 degrees then flip it over for another minute

5. pry at tabs and separate headlamp cover from housing

6. remove screws which secure projector assembly to housing

7. remove screws securing lens to projector

<span style="font-size:14pt;line-height:100%">Modification:</span>

8. tape off the back of the projector as best you can to keep the paint out of the front area

9. use a razor to reveal the portions you wish to paint and clean up the tape job

10. use the scotchbrite pad to scuff the inside of the headlamp and prepare for paint by rubbing with alcohol

11. spray self etching primer or high temp primer into the projector housing and wait for it to dry

12. spray high temp aluminum into projector housing.

<span style="font-size:14pt;line-height:100%">Reassembly: </span>
reassemble the parts in the opposite order you took them off. The only exception is that you should use a hair dryer or a heat gun to reattach the headlamp clear cover to the headlamp housing.

<span style="font-size:14pt;line-height:100%">Results:</span>
I don't have a picture of the final headlamp beam because I didn't have anyone to hold the camera while I held the headlamp as it was late at night. It is EASILY about 2x brighter. I performed this mod on a extra headlamp I had laying around and tested it on the car. I will be doing this to both of my headlights next time I have an excuse to pull my bumper off the car.

This does not effect cutoff or beam shape at all. There are no undesired results. I believe the metal Hyundai chose oxidizes over time and this is just a restoration of stock.

Estimated project time: 12 hours including time for paint to dry.

Note:
Do this DIY in conjunction with these DIYs
Install angel eyes: http://www.rdtiburon.com/index.php?showtopic=26127
Remove headlamp vibration: http://www.rdtiburon.com/index.php?showtopic=26114&hl=
patreezy's Cleaning headlights with mcguires: http://www.rdtiburon.com/index.php?showtopic=11544
Tibby01's Easy headlamp adjustment: http://www.rdtiburon.com/index.php?showtopic=12963
Old 02-15-2008, 06:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This sounds awesome. My headlights are about as bright as a 1 LED flashlight right now, so when I can i'll definitely try this out!
Old 02-15-2008, 06:40 PM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

Most people can make their headlights brighter by simply aligning them. When mine were replaced after my first accident, they were shining straight DOWN. Just something to keep in mind... doing this DIY won't do anything if your headlights aren't focused on the road
Old 02-16-2008, 07:07 AM
DTN

^^ right, this is for when you're trying to squeeze that little extra bit of light out. It will make them quite a bit brighter. The first thing you should do is align your headlamps, then clean the headlamps with meguires so that they do not reflect light back into the assembly. Then check to see if you have a sylvania silverstar bulb in the headlamp. They make a big difference. This would be the final thing to do as it takes a couple of hours to get into the headlamp. The other items are 5-10 minute checks.
Old 02-16-2008, 07:29 AM

Good diy, I might try this in the spring.

But one things for sure, cleaning the headlights with that meguiars plastX stuff helps alot. And putting in some PIAA bulbs also makes a huge difference, some people think I have h.i.d.'s.
Old 02-16-2008, 07:48 PM

Vehicle: 2000 hyundai tiburon

i would definately not condone the use of silverstar headlights-... they always seem to blow out w/ in a month or 2!
Old 02-16-2008, 07:52 PM
DTN

^^ You know, they do blow out pretty often. I always kept a extra set in the car just in case. HIDs are the best way to go
Old 02-17-2008, 07:53 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

^^ do you guys touch the blubs? I only have one burn out maybe a couple times a year. Plus They were burning out more until I noticed that one of my battery grounding cables (the one on the motor) wasn't connected. After fixing that they started lasting longer.
Old 02-21-2008, 02:45 PM

Vehicle: 2000 hyundai tiburon

nope i did not touch the glass-...

a friend of mine her headlight blew out and her dad replaced it w/ a silverstar. i told her that she's gonna have to replace it soon-... sure enough, a month later i was replacing the same bulb!

i think bulbs (that are made for your car) should last for at least a year.

w/ the money i spent replacing silverstars (@ the time- low/high/fog) i could've had a good hid kit.

sorry to get off topic-....

i'll have to give this a try when i get around to blacking out my headlights!
Old 02-21-2008, 03:02 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Tiburon

i've been using the same silverstars since july and they seem fine, i just switched them up tho because they aren't so bright and you can find ten times as bright bulbs for at half the price online, I have 10,000k supposedly.