Computers, Gaming, & Technology Here you can talk about anything with circuit boards, or dilithium crystals, or flux capacitors. Show off your technology, computing, and gaming knowledge.

Wifi Suggestions?

Old 02-02-2017, 06:31 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 01 Tiburon Turbo, 99 Tiburon F2E, 2013 Avalon XLE Touring
Default Wifi Suggestions?

I have ATT gigabit service, but they supplied me with a crappy Arris router. Right now it is in my closet, centralized upstairs. The signal is ok upstairs, but downstairs is very erratic. My movie streaming sucks to my tv downstairs. I'd like to upgrade it, but feel like the Best Buy salesman is trying to rip me off by getting me to buy something way more than I need. Can someone explain why I would need a 3gb, 20 channel router if all I have is gigabit service and at most 6 devices at one time? Do I need to pay over $300 for one? All I really want is the signal to get downstairs.
Old 02-02-2017, 06:34 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

What you need is to pay 1/3 price by shopping for your new router on ebay. Pick a seller with >99.5% reputation that accepts returns.
Old 02-02-2017, 10:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 03 Hyundai Accent

Buy this. I have one in the back half of my house and perfect signal throughout. https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Versi...&keywords=n300
Old 02-03-2017, 05:30 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 01 Tiburon Turbo, 99 Tiburon F2E, 2013 Avalon XLE Touring

Originally Posted by 03-accent-03
Buy this. I have one in the back half of my house and perfect signal throughout. https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Versi...&keywords=n300
That's what I was looking at initially, but I was told that those cause delays due to repeating and split the bandwidth somehow. Not good for streaming 4k.

Look at one of the reviews: https://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-r...SIN=B004YAYM06

Now, here's the catch. When you route your wifi signal from your modem/router to the Netgear extender it will improve the signal strength as my results have proven from above. The problem is that the actual speed of the extended signal is SLOWER than the original signal from your modem/router!! This is very deceiving, perhaps unintentionally by Netgear. It even makes a stement in the manual for the Netgear extender that says something to the effect that you should only use the extender in situations when you have either no signal or one that is very poor as the actual data speed is slower when using the extender.

One of the main reasons that I bought this was to boost the wifi signal that my Sony Bravia TV receives for streaming Netflix movies. With my current modem/router setup I was receiving three out of five bars signal strength, 60%. When I accessed the Netgear extender my signal strength jumped up to five out of five bars, 100% signal strength, BUT the overall speed of that signal was 5 to 6 times slower and actually caused my Netflix streaming to buffer which never happens when I am just using my wifi connection without the Netgear extender.
Old 02-03-2017, 08:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 03 Hyundai Accent

Buy it locally (Target, etc), try it, return it if it doesn't work to your liking. I don't see any issues streaming HD (not 4k) or on my XB1.