Hyundai Aftermarket

Hyundai Aftermarket (https://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/forum/)
-   The Char Pit (https://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/forum/char-pit-47/)
-   -   Sooooo Frustrated... (https://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/forum/char-pit-47/sooooo-frustrated-32720/)

zoned019 11-06-2005 02:48 PM

I was tightening the hose clamp on the elbow, got it tight, and the socket+reducer were sort of stuck on the nut. Sooo I pulled the ratchet off, realized this, went to grab them and they fell into the depths of my engine, somewhere near the IM?
I need it to finish doing what I was doing...and I've been looking for over a half hour. I even started the car, backed out, pulled back in, still don't know where it is. I'm soo pissed right now..where the hell could it go? I ran a few tests and dropped some other sockets in the same place, and they all landed on the ground...OMG! drillsergeant.gif mad.gif

01tibby 11-06-2005 02:54 PM

jack the car up and it will probably roll out.

hamhead 11-06-2005 02:57 PM

lmao.gif

Ye jack it up... or take your car up to 10mph and hit the brakes in your driveway or something.

'treezy 11-06-2005 02:59 PM

I have done this lots of times. They like to rest in the cracks of the tranny and even fall onto the cat or down-pipe and rest there.

Jack car up from the front in hopes of them rolling off, and if they don't go under car and take a look from under there.

Hey at least you didn't drop o-rings into your cylinders. mad.gif

silvertibbs 11-06-2005 03:14 PM

Get yourself a little magnet for future dropping of sockets. You should be able to get them cheap pretty much anywhere, they are normally extendable and have a high powered magnet. If its not bolted onto the car and you grab it you prolly won't loose it.

That is a must have with me, I constantly drop sockets just as you have. Get it, use it, love it.

faithofadragon 11-06-2005 03:16 PM

yeah but he doesnt know where the socket is

a magnet is useless if you cant find what you want to pick up

Mad-Machine 11-06-2005 04:00 PM

I think every car has some little "lost elephant graveyard" full of missing washers, bolts, buts, and even tools.

KCVoRTeX 11-06-2005 04:19 PM

thats the great thing about the magnet... you just kinda swish it around all over in hopes it will grab something =P

supry 11-07-2005 06:34 AM

I was removing my drivers side motor mount and while taking the bolts out through the fender I lost my socket between the skins of the fender, so needless to say it's gonna be there for a while.

REDZMAN 11-07-2005 07:44 AM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Mad-Machine @ Nov 6 2005, 04:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>I think every car has some little "lost elephant graveyard" full of missing washers, bolts, <span style="color:#FF6666"><span style="font-size:36pt;line-height:100%">buts</span></span>, and even tools.</div>

Remind me not to ride in your car you wierdo.

Dmitry 11-07-2005 08:51 AM

probably it's laying on the starter or somewhere there. try jacking your car and look there, get some light there.

CyberShark 11-07-2005 09:30 AM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (REDZMAN @ Nov 7 2005, 02:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Remind me not to ride in your car you wierdo.</div>

LOL..the "but" is probably connected to one of those pescky midgets

Hyundaidb883 11-07-2005 09:49 AM

that sucks to lose any kind of tools in the car, i think all who do work on their cars have experience this.

i did something similar, except i don't get the chance to try and find it... i was working on a mercury cougar doing 5 different complaints, one of them was puting a new alternator in, as i was tightening the negative batt. cable back, and was buttoning everything up. i look around the engine bay, like i always do, but didn't see anything obvious, so i shipped the car.

come to find out at the end of the day that i did leave my 10 mm wrench in that car. not just any wrench though it was a snap on. it's like $38 plus tax for a new one... i'm a snap on freak!!! oh well.

Mad-Machine 11-07-2005 04:13 PM

somebody else sold their soul to the snap on man I see.....

And make no buts about it.. you eventually lose something when working on your car. Just hope you do not lose it someplace important.

silvertibbs 11-07-2005 04:24 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (faithofadragon)</div><div class='quotemain'>yeah but he doesnt know where the socket is

a magnet is useless if you cant find what you want to pick up</div>

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (silvertibbs @ Nov 6 2005, 05:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>If its not bolted onto the car and you grab it you prolly won't loose it.</div>

Just fish around, RAM it into a couple spots and you'll find it. The one I have has a magnet that is prolly 1.5" long, and extends, I just place it into spots that I think it went into (that I can't see) and see what I come up with. Trust me the magnet is strong enough to pull anything that isn't bolted down or jammed in place.

Hyundaidb883 11-07-2005 05:50 PM

well my soul is sold to Snap-On till this march then I'll re-sign my soul away again for more cool stuff!!!! hahaha.

HyundaiKitCoupe 11-07-2005 05:53 PM

get it to a lift. you'd be surprised how much more you can see when the car's lifted up. too bad our cars can't shake like dogs.

Maeglin Oronar 11-07-2005 07:26 PM

Loosing sockets sux big time. I always am able to find all of my sockets, extensions, etc. that I drop quite quickly. But I do really hate it when they drop down the sewer grate! yuck.gif You gota stick your hand down their in that muck.. their is some nasty crap in thier.

Say hyundaidb883 my soul is sold to Matco at the moment. (Snap-On no longer comes around to fix our tools!)

Mad-Machine 11-07-2005 08:06 PM

this reminds me... tomorrow I gotta fish out that sparkplug that fell down the hood latch support. I recently did buy an extendable mirror to get it out. It has only been down there five years.

Hyundaidb883 11-08-2005 06:59 AM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Maeglin Oronar @ Nov 7 2005, 07:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Loosing sockets sux big time. I always am able to find all of my sockets, extensions, etc. that I drop quite quickly. But I do really hate it when they drop down the sewer grate! yuck.gif You gota stick your hand down their in that muck.. their is some nasty crap in thier.

Say hyundaidb883 my soul is sold to Matco at the moment. (Snap-On no longer comes around to fix our tools!)</div>

that's krazy!!! i worked in central texas before and snap on dealer there pulled the same stuff, didn't want to fix you broken tools without the warranty papers.

but here, as long as it says snap on on the tool he'll replace it! NO QUESTIONS ASKED! i love it.. i found every tool i broke and gave it to him (which was only like 3).. hahahahaha. big money saver. i threw out a 1/4 drive u-joint socket by snapon cause i thought they wouldn't replace it. damnit!!!