The Char Pit Post all rants & flames in here. No personal attacks will be allowed though.

Keys Are Locked In My Car.

Old 07-10-2009, 07:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 1998/Hyundai/Tiburon

So, I drove to work today, about an hour away from home, and I proceeded to be lock the doors, leave the car, shut the door.... all while leaving the keys inside! Awesome!

Don't ask how I forgot them, because I keep asking myself the same thing. Anyways, if anyone knows how to Jimmy a lock... lol.
Old 07-10-2009, 08:28 AM

Vehicle: 2004 Tuscani Tiburon

Ask a cab driver haha. My friend has locked herself out several times and a cab driver always seems to be able to get them out for her. Otherwise, good luck! haha. Do you got a spare key??
Old 07-10-2009, 08:44 AM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

I've heard the windows can be pried out pretty far to get something in there (no blaming me if you break it though, but I know it can go at least far enough to get something in there). Try the passenger side, if you get a sturdy enough loop, you may be able to hook the actual lock lever itself. Theoretically you can try to get one of those jimmy devices in there, but I've seen the locking mechanism and it's really hard to get at and pull.
Don't you have a spare key somewhere? Wallet, safe, under your mattress, at your gf's house, somewhere? If not, now's the opportunity to go get one.

But hey, look at the bright side - at least your not locked in your car!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IKXTa_Z2Ow
Old 07-10-2009, 10:23 AM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

Locked in your car = statistic in the die-off after any significant natural or "man-caused" disaster.

Spare key in your wallet pays for itself the first time you use it.
Old 07-10-2009, 11:05 AM

Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Tiburon

Do the following go to your local hardware store. Buy 4 feet of hard metal rod. Its about twice the thickness of a metal hanger. Now bend it like this

push your window and slide the the rod down the glass with the j hook pointing down. not the L grab it by the L shape handle turn it a little bit and the the J hook side will come up inside the car. pull i tup turn it all the way and hook your lock with the metal rod hook and pull it up. You might have to bend the end of the j hook longer because the Tiburon lock is lower. I bend this one for a civic which has the lock right by the window. If you call a locksmith that will charge you $80 thats what they use to open your car. If you don't want to go through the trouble of bending it you can also get the rod and make a small hook at the end. pull the window a little bit (Tiburon's are very easy to do) and stick the rod through there.

Don't try a hanger it wont work. To soft. I learn this the day my girlfriend looked her self out in the middle of no where and we had to call a locksmith. After that I made my self my own tool. And so far I've rescued 4-5 locked keys from friends and family. They also sell the kit on line for 40-50 bucks. Which I think pays for itself. But I made mine from ACE hardware store for $4

here is a video of how it works
Old 07-10-2009, 11:23 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

RD Tiburon = easiest car to break into. Frameless windows let you pull the glass out far enough to get any type of rod in there. If you have any sort of wedge it will make it even easier.
Old 07-10-2009, 02:26 PM
http://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/images/vendor1.png

I do it cause of the shaved handles from time to time. To make sure you dont screw up the window frame or scratch tint or anything, you'll want to first get something very thin in there to get the window padding out of the way, then use a nice long flathead or something to give you some leverage on flexing the window. I slip in a nice little 1/2" wide piece of metal that's maybe 2-3 feet long. I have a hole at the end of it, and since unlocking doesn't work for me, I have to run speaker wire through the end and loop it, all while keeping the long side of the wire in my hand so that when I get it around the handle, I pull the wire, not the actual piece of metal that its looped through. Done it a ton of times, without a mark on the car smile.gif
Old 07-10-2009, 03:05 PM

Vehicle: 1999 Hyundai Tiburon

I've done that a time or ten............

Do what I am about ready to do, I am going to get another spare key made, and put it behind the license plate.

Your key has a hole, or should, mine does. Your license plate has a screw. Presto. Hidden key where nobody would expect it.
Old 07-10-2009, 03:11 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Tiburon

I locked mine in before too. If you take your VIN number to the dealer they can give you the key code for it, which most locksmith shops can make for you... That's what I did anyway. You'll probably have to show a copy of your insurance slip and drivers license.
Old 07-10-2009, 03:44 PM

Vehicle: 2004 Volkswagen Jetta GLI

i locked mine in couple times...i use insurance to come open...

before i put in Turbo timer to warm car up in winter, i use to keep spare key in wallet and have car running fing02.gif