The Char Pit Post all rants & flames in here. No personal attacks will be allowed though.

I'm A F****** Moron

Old 05-09-2010, 11:42 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Vehicle: 1999 Hyundai Tiburon

So I had this bright Idea to suspend my Leer camper shell over my tib to save space and store the shell when its not in use.

Got it all up tonight and it worked perfectly! Used a motorized hoist and everything. Got it up off the truck and suspended. Fantastic!

Just got all my hardware laid out to install the fail-safe lines that would hold the topper up in case the hoist ever failed. All of a sudden, this huge crash happens with my back turned and only about 5 feet away from the topper. One goddamn bracket failed and my beautiful leer topper crashed about 9 feet to the concrete floor. Thank God I was not under it when it happened.

Completely shattered the rear glass. scratches and a few gouges on the roof. One large gouge that will definitely need to be fiberglassed. All because I got in a little bit of a hurry and forgot to double check one damn brace. I'm so pissed. I got a hell of a deal on it when I bought it. Its like a 1200 topper I got for 450.00 Well, now it looks like a 450 topper. f***!!

I feel so lucky that I was not under it when it fell. Or the Tib!!! That would have been major damage.

Good thing I play and teach music and not build suspension bridges, or there'd be some dead motha-f****** LOL!

Anyone got a clue how much I'm gonna be out replacing the rear glass on a Leer Fiberglass topper?

EDIT: Sorry, no pics, I was too disgusted.
Old 05-10-2010, 06:27 AM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

http://www.leer.com/?ct=34

^leer dealer locator.

Try a glass shop in your town also; they might be cheaper, never hurts to ask.
Old 05-10-2010, 06:39 AM

Thanks man. Will do. I already emailed 2 of the nearest Leer dealers in my area to get some quotes. Keeping my fingers crossed.
Old 05-10-2010, 11:42 AM
Administrator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

wow - that sucks. I misread it at first and thought the Tib was under it when it fell. It could've been worse!
Old 05-10-2010, 12:04 PM

^^^ That's what I thought also, due to the way it was worded.

Sucks though nonetheless.
Old 05-10-2010, 02:47 PM

Vehicle: 2001 hyundai tiburon

go to your nearest glass shop and have them cut one out of plexiglas. will be a little more but will withstand alot more.
Old 05-10-2010, 02:56 PM

Sorry for the poor wording! Yea, I just checked local leer dealer. Not so bad I guess. 199 installed for the rear glass. Might look into the plexi though for added strength. Looks like I have another paint project this summer. LOL!