The Char Pit Post all rants & flames in here. No personal attacks will be allowed though.

College Dorm=Sketchy

Old 12-03-2009, 07:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Tib
Default College Dorm=Sketchy

Well, heres the story.

I moved in to my dorm in August, had a great deal of fun, parties, what else may have you. Buuut heres when the sh*t starts, about a month ago or so, I leave for class and my room mate is there. My class is 50min long, and my room mate went across the hall for 10min, in that time period someone came through and swiped my ipod touch off of my desk. Filed a police report, no where to be found, and that itouch was my life. So about a month and a half goes by. And we leave for thanksgiving break, my suit mates key gets stolen the day before we leave, and while were gone someone breaks into his room, steals his tv, his room mates tv, his ps3, all the games and controllers. Then goes through the bathroom (ajoining bathroom) and breaks the lock on my door, and steals my xbox 360, games and controller.

Sooo, we file a police report they come dust for finger prints..just like CSI lol, and go on there way. Just kinda wanted to vent. Seeing as between me and my suit mate about $1300 worth of stuff, gone. Oh and they also took his back pack and pillow case to carry sh*t. Now isn't that some sh*t either way everything is probably loongg gone, sold to pawn shops across the state over thanksgiving break. mad.gif
Old 12-03-2009, 07:38 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Tiburon

What type of building are you in? how is it setup? are they setup like apartments or hotel rooms? It has to be someone in your building to A) know where everything is B)been watching ya to case your habits. Sorry to say that you got cased, hosed and shafted.
Old 12-03-2009, 07:57 AM

Vehicle: 2006 Hyundai Accent

That sucks man.

What I do is backup everything that's important on to a cheap 8gb flash drive.

You can get free programs off the internet in which you setup a webcam somewhere in the room attached to a laptop and whenever it sees movement it starts to record everything it captures. You can then set it to upload to an FTP server, a shared drive, email it to yourself. That way if they steal the cam it's already backed up and uploaded somewhere. Or just hide the camera under your pillow pointing out.

My logitech webcam actually came with that program free.
Old 12-03-2009, 08:24 AM

Vehicle: 03 Hyundai Accent

Sucks to hear, but my best advice...

Don't. Leave. Expensive. Stuff. Where. It. Can. Get. Stolen.
Old 12-03-2009, 09:16 AM

Vehicle: SRT4/Neon SOHC

Get some extra locks, or change locks if possible. If not then set up a little camera system but tell no one about it. Even your roomate...
Old 12-03-2009, 10:08 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Vehicle: '14 Ford F-150

First, always write down your serial numbers. Police will actually add them to the "hot sheet" that pawn shops all get. Believe me, most pawn shops would rather turn over stolen property than risk getting caught with it, despite what you see on TV crime dramas. Second, get renter's insurance. Most policies will cover a dorm room.
Old 12-03-2009, 11:43 AM

Vehicle: 2008 Tiburon

^^ yep Ive done both of those for the stuff in my dorm room.
Old 12-03-2009, 01:20 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Sucks man. I'm about ready to punch my roommate in the face. His dumbass keeps leaving the doors to the hallway and rooms unlocked.
Old 12-03-2009, 01:50 PM

Vehicle: 2008 Hyundai Tiburon v6 SE

Man....sorry to hear about that....

my actual roommate used to steal sh*t all the time. I decked him once and he immediately stopped. lol, needless to say we didn't get along and he actually transferred out of my room...serves him right
Old 12-03-2009, 01:58 PM

Vehicle: 2002 Accent

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (03-accent-03 @ Dec 3 2009, 08:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Sucks to hear, but my best advice...

Don't. Leave. Expensive. Stuff. Where. It. Can. Get. Stolen.</div>

eh man, he can't be paranoid all over his personal belongings in his dorm room. That place is your home and I don't know about your campus YellowTib, but mine has tons of dorm security, like ID cards to open gates, people at front desks, security officers, etc.

You might want to petition to change rooms. Just let the housing department know that you don't feel safe in your dorm and you'd like to change rooms or buildings, and room mates. That's what i would do. sounds like you are going to get in a fight with your roomie when things keep going missing.