Hyundai Aftermarket

Hyundai Aftermarket (https://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/forum/)
-   The Char Pit (https://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/forum/char-pit-47/)
-   -   Cobra Eyes Illegal? (https://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/forum/char-pit-47/cobra-eyes-illegal-23594/)

Thortib 11-13-2003 05:00 PM

This kid at my school has red cobra eyes wired to his blinkers and got pulled over this weekend and slapped with a $200 ticket! I have the red ones too and I don't want to have to pay that much! Has anyone else had trouble with these types of lights? I asked a cop and he said it was fine as long as they weren't blue, but now since this kid got a ticket I'm a little worried :?

GreatLakesTib 11-13-2003 05:11 PM

As far as the laws go in michigan you can not have any lights on the front or back of your car that are either red or blue. I was pulled over for having them on my car in blue....however I only got a warning. I michigan only police and emergency vechicals can have red or blue lights. I you dont want the ticket I would not drive with them on. If you are parked you should be fine.

Mad-Machine 11-13-2003 05:18 PM

Unfortunatly.. that is the way it goes... keep them off until you are parked.

Last week I saw an Intagra get pulled over.. he and I were going down the road more or less together.. I was following him.. cop saw us, flipped around.. squeezed inbetween him and I and hit his lights... we were not speeding or anything.. but he had white neons on.. not that you could see them from the road.. but you could see the light on the ground. I thought federal law stated that you could run neon.. but only so long as you could not see the lamps directly?

Thortib 11-13-2003 05:30 PM

I'm going to order a set of LED underbody from the guy on hyundaiperformance and wire them to the same switch that my cobra eyes are on so that I won't be able to turn either of them on while driving. Only when it's parked.

shostlye 11-13-2003 07:11 PM

ohh and great lakes tib... you are allowed to have red in the rear... they are called breake and tail lights.... but no blue or red in front

GreatLakesTib 11-13-2003 07:37 PM

an idea that's really good, but pretty bad

ya thats my bad I ment red and blue in the front and blue in the back......As far as neon goes I believe it is local state laws you have to worry about. Once again in michigan any neon that is on a moving car is illegeal if it is turned on....even if you cant see the bulbs....I checked this out last summer when I installed my underbody kit. Although I see poeple driving around with neon license plates all the time and they never seam to get pulled over. I currently have my tib and a santa fe and I can tell you that I can fly by a cop going 15 over in the santa fa and not even get a second look but if i pass a cop in my tib going 5 under I will get followed....my basic rule when I drive my tib is not to do anything a cop could consider illegal or cocky. I have lost my license a few to many times to risk anything anymore.

Mad-Machine 11-13-2003 07:44 PM

yea.. the Tib is a "kids car" I am 33 and I get followed in mine all the time...yet as you say.. I get passed by every SUV around.

x7xstring 11-14-2003 02:11 PM

I got pulled over for going about 40 km in a parking lot an EMPTY parking lot AT NIGHT !!!(cop said i was going about 60km, ... LOL whatever buddy)
kinda funny since parking lots are private property and they have no right at all to stop me unless i was driving recklessly (which i was not)

So he pulls me over and actually shined a spotlight on me at night as if i was some kid that just stole a car!!!!!!(this really pissed me off to no end)
the cop was a total asshole to me and i have a clean record - i also pointed out to him that in my 10 years of driving i have NEVER been pulled over for speeding,I am very smart when it comes to dealing with cops (my uncle is a retired staff sargent)
this dude was fresh out of the academy no doubt.

by law, police officers cant ticket you for speeding on private property - So im guessing that he thought he was "cop of the week" about to nail a car thief.
he asked for my licence an what not, and i told him to hurry up because i was in a hurry! HAHA what an as$hole!!!

I drove off with no ticket after this i might add.

majik 11-14-2003 02:59 PM

having Blue or Red lights (ESPECIALLY flashing) is illegal and you WILL get a ticket. Other colors should be fine, just check with your local police department. I've heard some cops say that "any flashing or 'dazzling' lights are illegal" but I think it's pretty much up to officer discretion.

Mad-Machine 11-14-2003 03:40 PM

well, I can say this.. I come across one more accident at night (I do a LOT of late night driving back and forth between Atlantic City, baltimore, and DC.. I am going to put some nice yellow strobes in on the flashers.. just so I can park the car on the side of the road and not worry about somebody hitting it.. or worse.. not seeing the accident and hitting me.

You think I kid? A couple of years ago, I was coming home at about 2am.. and I was one of the first people on the scene of an accident.. kid in an Elantra either fell asleep and tagged a guardrail.. or was tapped by another car (I think it was the latter.. there was another car that took off as soon as it was safe for him to). He was more or less ok.. just walking around in a daze with a nasty cut on his head.. while I called 911, somebody laid him back down in the car (passengerside) to wait for the cops and the ambulance. By this time we have about half a dozen to ten cars parked on the side of the AC expressway.. all with our four ways flashing. Out of the darkness on this rather straight stretch of road.. an Acura MDX zooms in at least 75mph... no brakes, no slowing.. I had to jump out of his way.. and he slams into the side of the wrecked Elantra... parts go flying everywhere.. the kid who was driving it died.. We tries. Myself and another know CPR.. but there was no saving him.

It is just one of the things I will carry with me for a LONG time.