Braking, Wheels, Tires, Suspension Modifications to Brake Rotors, Calipers, Wheels, Tires, Springs, Struts, Coilovers, Swaybars, Strut Tower Braces, etc.

winter tires final choice Questions

Old 11-29-2004, 11:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Destroyed

I have decided to get Bridgestone Blizzak winter tires. I am not sure to get the WS-50 or the LM-22. I read that the LM-22's are more perfomance and they are 35 bucks each more. I was wondering if the LM-22s are a better winter tire or should i go with the WS-50's
Old 11-29-2004, 11:51 AM

Vehicle: 97 Tiburon
Default Re: Destroyed

other differences between the 2 would be that the LM-22 is an H-rated tire and the WS-50 is a Q-rated tire (Q meaning it is meant just for winter).

i say, if you want a tire that was made for the snow, then get the WS-50. Get the LM-22 if ytou are willing to trade some snow and ice traction for enhanced dry road handling.

since you'll be changing them w/ the season, get a winter tire and not a perfomance winter tire
Old 11-30-2004, 07:17 AM

Default Re: Rim Weight question

As you live in an area that sees some pretty harsh winters (I know, my mom is from the UP of Michigan, not far from the Wisconson Border) I would go for a true winter tire just to get by up there...
Old 11-30-2004, 07:38 AM

Default Re: SPIKE at it again...

I am going to go with the true winter tire then. Thanks for the responses
Old 11-30-2004, 12:50 PM

Default Re: Alternators

winter is no time to be going for 1g on the skid pad anyway... save that for the spring thaw...
Old 11-30-2004, 02:32 PM

Vehicle: 2004 Acura TL
Default Re: airram compatible strut bar?

Only thing to consider is higway driving. If you do a lot of highway driving where the roads are clear, it's nice to have a better treadwear rating. Be careful when choosing a winter tire, they normally don't have the best treadwear rating due to having a different tread design to better move ice and snow. Thus it wears faster. Depending on the price you can probably afford buying them every year, but that could get costly. But I know the winters here can get nasty.

There is now such thing as an all season tire, what they sell you is a poor winter tire, and a poor performance tire.
Old 11-30-2004, 02:48 PM

Default Re: www.boostedtiburon.com - Up and Running!

QUOTE (silvertibbs)
Only thing to consider is higway driving. If you do a lot of highway driving where the roads are clear, it's nice to have a better treadwear rating. Be careful when choosing a winter tire, they normally don't have the best treadwear rating due to having a different tread design to better move ice and snow. Thus it wears faster. Depending on the price you can probably afford buying them every year, but that could get costly. But I know the winters here can get nasty.

There is now such thing as an all season tire, what they sell you is a poor winter tire, and a poor performance tire.

I say go with real winter tire just because you want to be on a safe side.

silver, why are you saying that? I have dunlops are they are all season and they are great in summer; haven't tried them in snow yet.
Old 11-30-2004, 03:01 PM

Vehicle: 2004 Acura TL
Default Re: www.boostedtiburon.com - Up and Running!

I'll be very surprised if they are good in the snow. They will work I'm sure but not as well as a designated winter tire. (obviously) There is no such thing as a tire with good wet and dry capabilities. They are totally different elements. Wet tires push water away to prevent hydorplaning, and winterWhat I should have said is that they are okay in each season, not remarkable.
Old 11-30-2004, 03:48 PM

Default Re: SPIKE at it again...

i see. well I guess I'm gonna have to see how they perform smile.gif
Old 01-07-2005, 08:53 PM

Default Re: MBRP Catback exhaust

I ended up buying the WS-50's. We had a earlier slushy/snow mess one weekend before i had them and it was horrid. I had them installed about 2 weeks ago and just got a pretty good dumping of snow(7inches) All I can say is WOW. They bite into the snow and ice really good. They are a little mushy when making fast lane changes, but you'll have that with winter tires. Overall, i would totally recommend them.