Braking, Wheels, Tires, Suspension Modifications to Brake Rotors, Calipers, Wheels, Tires, Springs, Struts, Coilovers, Swaybars, Strut Tower Braces, etc.

why is my steering wheel still shaking??!!

Old 01-11-2002, 07:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default why is my steering wheel still shaking??!!

ok guys(random)

as u know from early posts that i recently had my rotors and brake pads installed and everything, well the time has come that my rims(16x7, 42offset) and new tires(204-40-16) are mounted and everything
so i go and do the required and get the wheels balanced, and low and behold the steerring wheel still shakes kinda volently around 60-70mph.......i actually sat there and watch the mechanic as he balanced my tires/rims, and after he balanced em i made sure he doubled checked that he got it right and he was.......all 4 tires came back as a "0" on the balancing machine once had put all the wheel weights on and everything......so my question is what else could make the steering shake like that at those speeds when the wheels ARE balanced....also as a fyi, the steering didnt shake at all with the stock wheels are so there has go to be something i can do here

once again, please help me to resolve yet another issue......
Old 01-11-2002, 08:06 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

Your Accent needs Hubcentric wheels.

That means the wheels need to fit onto the hub snugly, and the hub actually carrys the weight, the lugs are just there hold the wheel on.

If the hub of the wheel is too large, this allows all the weight of the wheel to be carried on the lugs, and the wheel can actually "shift" on the small ammount of play between lugs. It can also mean when you mount the wheel, if it is a fraction off center, that will be transmitted to you as steering wheel vibration.

I reccomend you check the size of your car's hubs, and the size of the inner walls of the wheel, then call www.tires.com for some hubcentric wheel adapters. They are only about $20, and they should fix the problem.

Who ever sold you your wheels should have sold them to you. If they did not even mention it, I would NOT go back to that store ever again.
Old 01-11-2002, 08:48 AM

ok i understand competely about how my car and its non-copmpatibility with aftermarket wheels, cause my last wheels gave me a vibration also even though it was balanced!

ok now get this, the guy actually did send 4 frisbe like ring with holes in it, he referred to it as "spacers"

please tell me this is what you are talkin bout!!, cause if so i can put this on myslef correct???

i will try and find a picture of what he sent me on the internet since i cant fully explain it to you in the mean time while i wait for u to respond to this....
Old 01-11-2002, 09:20 AM

Maybe one of your new tires has a broken belt. Try moving your back tires to the front. If the vibration goes away, then its probably a broken belt.
Old 01-11-2002, 09:46 AM

this is what it looks like that the guy sent me.........
cant i put these on myself or is a professional installation needed, cause it seems like it goes right onto the bolts b4 the wheel is applied, correct?
Old 01-11-2002, 09:59 AM

I had the same problem on my Elantra. I don't think the spacers are gonna help much but i could be wrong. I needed spacers because there are 4 bolts that are on the hub which hold the rotors in place. This didn't let the rim sit flush on the hub, hence lots of vibration. I don't think this is ur problem, becuase ur rotors should not be held in that way.
Random is right, what u need are Hubcentric rings. They are plastic circles that sit around the hub and allow the wheel to slide over it. This gives no room between the wheel and the hub therefore allowing no to minimal vibration. I don't think all the vibration will ever go away (big rims, thin tires), but this should help.

Even with my spacers, unless i put the rim one almost perfect, I get vibration. As you set the rim in place try to hold it up as u tighten the lugs. This way it sits perfect. Try to get someone to help you do this..its near to impossible to do alone...trust me I've tried.
Old 01-11-2002, 10:49 PM

hey random, where ya at??
Old 01-12-2002, 12:47 AM

There is a term called Radial Force Variation, meaning the are stiff spots in the side wall, the short side wall amplifies the severity. Everytime the the tire rotates, the side wall deflects as normal till it hits this area of added stiffness, then the deflection of the side wall changes and causes a shake. That can be one of the problems, I have a set of 205/45/16 Kumhos on a set of 7.5-16/40 wheels that are like that. The vibration will get worse depending on road condictions and tire temprature. Another is radial runout on the rim and is the machined face of the wheel hub is true. You will need hubcentric rings, the hub pilot dia is 67.1mm. If it still does it, try going through different torquing procedures, besure to get the torque equal on the studs. Try a torque of around 80ftlbs

[ January 12, 2002: Message edited by: HRD_Tiburon ]
Old 01-12-2002, 12:58 AM

<iframe width=100% src="http://www.geocities.com/peterchankh/hubcentric_rings.html">
</iframe>

See the metal ring in the middle of the rim? That's what you need. They can be made of different material, plastic, glassfiber, metal. Metal being the best but more expensive.

[ January 12, 2002: Message edited by: Etep ]
Old 01-12-2002, 01:58 AM

o i went out and put those metal rings (spacers i assume) on the hub, and i still get the shaking, i mean it has lessened maybe 20% percent but thats about it. it did bring my tire out of the wheel well a little, i dont kno how i feel about that, we will see when i come across some rubbing

o and i only had 2 spacers, since i have a accent do i only need it for the front 2 wheels or all four wheels? cause the guy i bought my rims from only sent me 2

and were can i get these hubcentric rings???
i checked around locally and no-one knew what i was talkin bout??
and tires.com didnt list a 1800 number for me to call and order it, i need this prob fixed fast, besides the fact of driving slow everywhere, i plan on making a mini-road trip in about a weeks time!!
more help please...

and one last thing, that pic u showed me off the metal thing, are u referring to the metal thing around the inside of the rims with "holes" in it for the lug studs to slide onto or are u referring to the inner inner metal ring? the small one that is, cause i have the ones with the multi-holes in it, but i dont think i have the smaller metal ring, is that one a separate piece?