Braking, Wheels, Tires, Suspension Modifications to Brake Rotors, Calipers, Wheels, Tires, Springs, Struts, Coilovers, Swaybars, Strut Tower Braces, etc.

It's A Brake Problem Now :/

Old 12-22-2008, 07:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: MC + RD2 + AW11 + 944 = 4x Win

Okay, I'm hoping this is just a cabling issue or perhaps even easier, but this morning I went out to the tib because I need to get to work to get paid, go fig, and the e-break wouldn't disengage completely. It went down to the 1st click and lost all tension, the handle will get past that with ease, but the tension is only on the 1st click and up (if that makes any sense). Because the weathers been nuts, Saturday it was in the low 70's (Fahrenheit) and today its officially down to 18 and still dropping, I figured maybe its just cold so I let the car warm up, but no joy. Then I backed up ever so slightly then froward again thinking it would just brake loose. Still no dice. Infinite wisdom an quick goat thinking all in full effect I did a lap around the parking lot rather slowly; after a few choice expletives and the ever efficient smiting of my pride.... anywho It can't be a snapped cable could it? Last time I had that happen on a car I recall no resistance in the lever any direction, the are sprung to prevent said disaster if I'm not mistaken. I can take the break lever up to click 1 and gain full resistance and seemingly more breaking power as the lever rises, and it will came back down though just to that last click where I loose resistance as if that's the end of the cable. Any idea are appreciated, I'll be napping and take a few more of those nice pain meds that I've been neglecting.

Kind of frustrating all things considered: so I am on transmission rebuild #3 (because the first one the shop says the think they put in a faulty part, apologized up and down, then fixed it under warranty, even offered not to charge me for the oil changed I asked them to do [but me being decent and understanding slip them a few bills anyway] just to have the same happen only 2 weeks after the 2nd rebuild), BOTH windows tracks borked, minor oil leak of not but a few drop every thousand miles, a tape deck on the fritz (just annoying) and the bent rim I inherited but never discovered because I never exceed 45 even on the Interstate (thank you Atlanta traffic,) as well as some tidbits I'm sure I've forgotten. And this is just the tib, I finally did the Sunbird in 2 weeks ago (long story) and have been awaiting a soul who knows how to fit a Stage3 Clutch onto a 944 (or 8 hours of personal garage time). So I'm officially now 0 for 3 cars. Woohoo!! fing02.gif

Seems to be rotten luck, but when the price was half of the average for tibs in the area I expected some issues. Plus I am 3rd owner and the previous was an 18 y/o recent high-school grad. And sad as it is to say i got suckered into that whole family-friend thing. 02.gif
Come to think about it, there was an incident about 3 years ago with a side mirror and traffic barrel. /me ponders

edit:
And I just realized I used the wrong version of the work "brake" in the title.
I'm going back to sleep.
Old 12-22-2008, 07:28 AM

Vehicle: 97 Tiburon

you also spelt it wrong 4 times in your first paragraph too lmao.gif

since the emergency brake on tiburons with rear disc are controlled by an actuated caliper you could also have a bad caliper.
Old 12-22-2008, 12:31 PM

update:
We've got a shop literally across the street and I really can't take the time myself to rip apart our last working car so I set off for the shop, and just as I turned out of my block all of the tension came back. So now I'm pretty convinced its the caliper, but until we buy another car I really cant afford any more down time. It's an auto and I don't have any hills to worry about, so if I ignore it and leave the e-brake disengaged until the 1st of the year when our loan should come in i hope there wont be any problems. Or should I book a rental now?
Old 12-22-2008, 04:21 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

99% sure not the caliper.

its the parking brake lines. they are notorious for freezing in the winter and rusting out completely near where they hook up to the caliper. about 90 bucks from the dealer for the part.
Old 12-22-2008, 07:57 PM

I had a cable go in the 944 once and the result were quite different. But since it's going back in for a 3rd trans re-build sad.gif after we pick up the wife's Fortwo I'm probably going in to baby sit the mechanic this time and I'll address it then. Don't really have another choice sadly.
Old 12-26-2008, 11:38 PM

+1 for the brake cable and not the caliper. The same happened to me, 2 weeks ago, to my passenger-side cable. I had previoulsy replaced my ds cable, and stupid me, I didn't do the ps one too. So I've done the ps side one and it's all good now. A good lube on the spring on the caliper (where the cable attaches to), is a good idea.
Old 12-28-2008, 10:04 AM

Well, since it hasn't recently been cold enough to freeze miraculously the e-brake hasn't locked up again either. Si my suspensions as yours is back to the cable. But since in the new year I am getting my 3rd (and hopefully final) rebuild on the trans and putting wheels on I will have some time to inspect. so we'll see.