Hyundai Aftermarket

Hyundai Aftermarket (https://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/forum/)
-   Braking, Wheels, Tires, Suspension (https://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/forum/braking-wheels-tires-suspension-12/)
-   -   Rattle!? Random!?!? (https://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/forum/braking-wheels-tires-suspension-12/rattle-random-4672/)

Chris 07-03-2001 06:29 PM

Rattle!? Random!?!?

Right..I am getting the run around from the garage so I was wondering if the mighty Random had any suggestions!?

The problem i have is that when I go down a rough surfaced street i can hear a metal on metal clanging noise from the rear of the car!?

The brakes are fine as they have been taken apart and replaced twice, The suspension if fine and has been checked...so what could it be!?

When i go over speed bumps no noise...only on rough uneaven surfaces....ARG,,,,,Really pissing me off now

So any suggestions!?

Cheers
Chris :confused:

WackyTibAcky 07-04-2001 01:26 AM

Could your jack have come loose and is banging around side to side or something?

Etep 07-04-2001 02:24 AM

Check carefully if it happens only on the rear. I think it's the brake disc dust plate. There are two little soft tape between the plate and the axle?? just above the mounting bolt. Mine came off and it's making the noise like yours. Haven't got a good fix at this moment. Too damn hard to work on it without a garage.

Tiburon_69er 07-04-2001 04:43 AM

Chris, have you lowered you car? If so when you lower your car, the stock struts are still alittle big for the aftermarket lowering springs. So when you go over a bump or 2 or small cracks in the road, your springs will rattle a bit from being too loose in the strut brackets. You can usually fix that by getting some rubber rings or spacers to help take up some of that extra space. Just some info for ya

Canadian Prairie Shark 07-04-2001 09:45 AM

Mine has the same rattle. It was there before and after I had the springs installed.
I have no idea what it is.
Does anyone have a noisy sunroof?

hyundai jvx 07-04-2001 02:31 PM

No, rattles in the rear or the sunroof, but my VIN number on the dash is loose and rattles constantly. I'll fix it myself, just, how does it just "come loose"? Maybe because the heat (Texas) expands the dash or something?

Chris 07-04-2001 05:29 PM

My car has the original suspension back on just now but I did have eibach springs on...Cost me an extra £100 to put the old ones back on before i took it to the dealer.

WHat I find is that when i do hear the noise if i gently apply the brakes ( Not really slowing the car down much ) the rattle stops, then if i release the brakes..heypresto rattle comes back!?!?

HELP

Random 07-04-2001 05:58 PM

It sounds as though it is either coming from the rear suspension, or the rear brakes.

My bet would be the rear brakes.

If you can jack up the rear of the car. If you cannot, drive one half of the car up on a kerb. Then crawl under the car and start TAPPING on things with a small metal hammer. Key here is to TAP, not POUND! Look for something loose. If something back there is vibrating, it should show itself as clean metal (no dirt or rust on it).

Try the rear brake shields as a start. They may have been damamged when the shop did the first spring install.

Lantra98 07-05-2001 02:35 AM

Whuss up Etep..
I see your back in action nice pic! :D
Now back to brakes...

Hey Random I noticed when i'm braking I don't hear anything but when I let off the brakes I get squeking front and rear also when the nose hits a dip in the road I hear a crunch like I dropped the nose on something.
A friend said he thought it could be that the rotors need to be turned and resufaced could that be the anwswer???
eek.gif

Random 07-05-2001 08:15 AM

A sqeek when you let OFF the brakes...and a "crunch" when you hit a dip in the road?

What about potholes? Do they cause the noise as well? If so, something is wrong in your front end...more than likely bearing or suspension, not brakes.

If your rotors were warped, you would feel a pulsing in the brake pedal every time you applied the brakes. I have no clue what could cause the sqeak when you let off the brakes....