Hyundai Aftermarket

Hyundai Aftermarket (https://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/forum/)
-   Braking, Wheels, Tires, Suspension (https://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/forum/braking-wheels-tires-suspension-12/)
-   -   Just to let you know... (https://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/forum/braking-wheels-tires-suspension-12/just-let-you-know-4572/)

KoreanShark 05-05-2001 05:32 PM

Just to let you know...

What it would cost to get one stock rim and stock Michelin tire mounted on your ride. I just messed up my left front wheel and rim so that I have to get a new set. Factory rim costs you about $170 to $190, the stock Michelin XGT V4 single tire that comes with the car costs another $160 to $200 plus about $50 to $75 charge for the mount and balance and this is straight from the dealership to Discount tires. It's costing me $450 to just to replace one stock tire and rim. At my local performance shop they have a rim and nitto performance tire package deal where I can get a custom set of white aluminum rim and Nitto low profile tires for less than a $1,000 for all four. And this is with the balancing and they are throughing in a custom lug-nuts for each rim for theft protection. But my money is short right now and my pops went bonkers saying why would I want to get four new rims and tires when my stock ones are fine, just has to replace one tire and rim. But the price difference I argue back but he is the man of the house so, he gets his way with my ride which is under his name. So can't argue with that.

[ May 06, 2001: Message edited by: KoreanShark ]

Random 05-05-2001 05:42 PM

www.copartfinder.com

Buy a matching wheel and tire right off a junked car in your area. Total cost $100 to $200 tops...

Scoobert 05-05-2001 09:56 PM

You're crazy! I would have just bought a different tire. Plus I wouldn't have had the dealership touch my car. I would have just did it some place else. A dealership is not the only place you can go.

Random 05-05-2001 10:10 PM

Buying a different tyre is not an option. You car will handle like crap with 3 tires of one brand/model and 1 tire of another brand/model.

Always keep the front 2 tires the same brand/model and the rear 2 the same brand/model.

Preferably, keep all 4 the same, but in certian circumstances, having different tires front and rear is a good thing.

Scoobert 05-06-2001 01:33 AM

It wouldn't be too much of a difference. If it's just for daily driving you really won't notice any handling changes.

This guy wanted to save some cash and that would have been the best thing. He plans to upgrade to new wheels and tires. Might as well save every penny you can.

You wouldn't feel any changes on the street with having a different tire than the rest.

Random 05-06-2001 01:41 AM

Scoobert I totally disagree with you here. I think you WOULD feel a difference with 3 tires of one model and 1 tire of another.

The tires would have different tread patters, different rubber compounds, and different handling characteristics.

Maybe, if you drove like a grandma, you wouldn't notice, but the first time you tried to push your car around a freeway on or off ramp, I guarantee you would notice. The first time you had to do a panic stop, I guarantee you would notice.

It's just not safe to have one unmatched tire. If you doubt me, call the tire rack up and ask them, or ask your local tire shop. They will not reccomend it, the will tell you to buy a used tire of approxiamtely the same mileage, or buy at least 2 new tires. It's a much safter way to go....

Scoobert 05-06-2001 02:40 AM

Random, I'm not saying to buy a completely different tire. You can buy a tire thats different than the others but still have a pretty close tire tread and everything.

Under normal conditions you won't notice anything. Go ahead and call up some tire places and they'll tell you the same thing. It's kind of a hard answer get right though because they'll tell you to buy more tires so they can make more money. But believe me, under normal driving conditions it won't make a difference.

KoreanShark 05-06-2001 04:26 AM

Set of three same tire threads and one single different thread, you will notice the difference. And let's not forget that with that set you could seriously mess up the balance and the lignement of your ride. Breaking will be different during down pours also because of the thread difference. I know becauce I went through all these with my ever first car in high school a going to be classic soon 1980 something Pontiac Ferraro. I went through alot of sheit with that car and it taught me alot about the cars inside and out than any driving school could ever teach me.

KoreanShark 05-06-2001 04:28 AM

And yeah, Random, if I could I would have found one at the salvage or the junk yard, but there just wasn't any and I'm also running out of time, don't know when my spare will pop also, knowing how I drive hehehe. Anyways I just wanted to inform you team members on the cost of a brand new factory rim and stock tire that's all.

Lantra98 05-06-2001 04:56 AM

Go to copartsfinder.com they'll have your spare probably only hit your wallet for a little over a couple of c-notes ask them to sell you the tire with it just make sure they're your brand, as for tires i've used many brands before you should stick with your brand, unless your upgrading because the ride will be much different traction might be lost as well as braking distance and ride comfort :cool: