Braking, Wheels, Tires, Suspension Modifications to Brake Rotors, Calipers, Wheels, Tires, Springs, Struts, Coilovers, Swaybars, Strut Tower Braces, etc.

I'm Pretty Happy With My Car Right Now

Old 03-28-2016, 08:19 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra
Default I'm Pretty Happy With My Car Right Now

For those who haven't been hanging on my every word for the last 16 years: my car has a (larger) rear anti-sway bar from a Tiburon installed, and the front coil springs had one coil cut off when the transmission was converted to a manual. The spring rate in front is increased, but the ride height is normal. It looks stock, but it sure doesn't drive stock.

I went around a turn about three times as fast as was reasonable on the way home from work today. The car went sideways! One moment one end was slipping more, next moment the other end was slipping more, but the overall direction was slipping a bit sideways. Then I got on the gas and upset the chassis and it pushed a little bit. What it did NOT do was understeer into the curb like it would have tried to do with stock suspension and the heavier autotragic gearbox.

This car is so much fun. Now if only it had more power.
Old 03-29-2016, 10:42 AM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis 2.0T

Maybe a turbo is in store for you in the near future!
Old 03-29-2016, 12:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

Glad you like it! Do you still have the white Elantra? I love those old Elantras. Love 'em. I wish I still had my dads. It was dropped on B+G springs. SO much FUN to drive!

Every time I see one of these at the junkyard I want to take one home with me. They are beautiful cars. Beautiful sleek design. In the wagon, the rear seats (the bottom, not the backside) fold down too and gives you an amazing amount of room for stuff, almost like a flatbed. Not even the Elantra Touring has that option.

Old 03-29-2016, 03:43 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Elantra GLS

Originally Posted by HyundaiKitCoupe
In the wagon, the rear seats (the bottom, not the backside) fold down too and gives you an amazing amount of room for stuff, almost like a flatbed. Not even the Elantra Touring has that option.
You can swap the folding seat bottom into the sedan I believe. Just have to drill a couple holes for the hinge. I was going to buy one for mine but the seat was all stained and nasty as hell.
Old 03-29-2016, 08:38 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

Visionz IDK about a turbo for a while but it's on the long list. I have one more bed to build, then the cylinder head I worked over in 2008 is next on the short list. That should make a difference. May turn into a rebuild with 1.8L pistons. Maybe.

HKC yeah it's still the white 2000 I've had since late 1999. The miles are adding up but thanks God it just keeps running strong As to storage room: it's a little pickup truck already - most recently I had an extension ladder inside. 8' long and like 8" thick collapsed, and all it took was folding the seats.