Hyundai Aftermarket

Hyundai Aftermarket (https://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/forum/)
-   Braking, Wheels, Tires, Suspension (https://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/forum/braking-wheels-tires-suspension-12/)
-   -   Brake chirp (https://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/forum/braking-wheels-tires-suspension-12/brake-chirp-22517/)

'treezy 11-30-2004 10:05 AM

Re: *EBAY ALERT* - gk Rear Sway Bar

I have a 97 Tiburon and a week ago I noticed when I apply brakes i hear a chirp (like a fast squeky noise like a bird chirp) It slows in repitition when my car slows down. It DOESN'T chirp when I brake hard, only when I apply slight pressure (like normal brake pressure applied when slowing down to a stop light).
Can anyone here help me find the problem or should I take it to a mechanic? Also, if someone here knows what the problem is how can I fix it so my brakes don't chirp.
I have front disc and rear drum brakes, I think I have ABS as well...

silvertibbs 11-30-2004 02:46 PM

Re: www.boostedtiburon.com - Up and Running!

May be a warped rotor. Is it intermittent?? If it's a constant sound you may be lucky and just have to replce the pads. I doubt this only because there is no sound when you brake hard.

Our stock brake setup is notorious for warping rotors, something about the pads being too harsh on the rotors and uneven heat distribution. I dunno. Warped rotors are common, that's all I know for sure.

Take your wheels off to take a look to see if you have pad left on all 4 corners. If that checks out I would suggest rotor warpage (I think I just made up) It's not a big deal I don't think as long as there is no scoring on the rotor. If you need new rotors there was a GB on them here a while back that I think is still kinda going on.

'treezy 11-30-2004 04:12 PM

Re: Destroyed

SILVERTIBS: "May be a warped rotor. Is it intermittent??"

No. I bought new brake pads when I bought the car (3 months ago) so that's probably not it.

I saw that GB, I'll have to check it out. Is there a rotor someone has had for a long time with no problems? Also, what differs between drilled, slotted, and drilled/slotted. I heard drilled have been known to crack, what about drilled/slotted? Is there a preference for a certain one to the rear or back (like slotted are better for the front and drilled for the back or something?)
Sorry for all the questions, I'll take off the wheel and check out my rotor this weekend and see what's up.

REDZMAN 11-30-2004 06:10 PM

Re: *PICS!* Finally, pics of the 2004 Fall ABQ BBQ *No 56K!

I've never heard of anyone having any problems with their modified rotors, except for Faithofdragon.

BUT, his have cracked because he is VERY hard on his car, and only has FRONT disks, so they are taking all the punishment.

Drilled = Holes drilled in a pattern all the way thru the rotors to promote cooling.

Slotted = Slots carved into the rotors to promote cooling and to shave off the glazed layer on your pads, so you always have fresh breaking surface. Eats up pads a bit quicker.

Dimpled = Drilled only a bit into the surface. Cooling effect, but much less.

Mad-Machine 11-30-2004 07:40 PM

Re: lsd

Also.. all of the above work to help degas the pads. When you press the brake pads into the disc and make friction, a fine layer is burned off of the pads (and rotor too!) and holes, slots, and dimples give it a place to go instead of building up between the surface of the rotor and the pads.. this actually increases your braking.