Braking, Wheels, Tires, Suspension Modifications to Brake Rotors, Calipers, Wheels, Tires, Springs, Struts, Coilovers, Swaybars, Strut Tower Braces, etc.

Adjusting E-brake

Old 06-21-2008, 10:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently had both of my left and right e-brake cables replaced as well as the drivers side rear caliper. the ebrake works, but if i leave it set for periods of time, hence when i leave the car parked while on vacatoin, the e breke handle all of a sudden has a ton of play in it. why is this??

it holds the car after six to seven clicks, is that ok?? when i first used the ebrake after getting new cables, 4-5 clicks held the car while in neautral on a hill, why is it getting looser all of a sudden>> also can i make a slilght adjustment to tighten the cable?? will that be ok and also how many clikcs should hold the car ok, i though it was 3-4

please help me out and let me know how to adjust it, i think its inside the glove box is where u go to adjust, right>??

thanks

matt
Old 06-21-2008, 11:29 PM
http://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/images/vendor1.png

Vehicle: Two 97 RD Tibs and 2010 Genesis Coupe

You have to remove your center console to actually tighten the nut which is located at the bottom near the rear seats.Im not sure what size bolt it is but you will see what i mean once you remove it.
Actually you can get away by just removing the rear screw that holds the center console and then lifting up the plastic and you can ee the nut to tightened.This is what i did cool.gif
Old 06-22-2008, 08:48 AM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

you probably need new hand brake lines. we have a big problem with them rusting out towards the caliper end, causing them to stick.
Old 06-22-2008, 02:25 PM

when on a hill for say, how many clicks before the e-brake should hold the car?? is it 3-4 cause right now mine takes 5-7.
Old 06-22-2008, 05:17 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

if they are new than adjust them. i dont remember the exact way to, but you can probably do it from the handbrake or caliper ends.
Old 06-22-2008, 05:42 PM

You have to remove your center console

Yep, like 2Uniq said, if you pull up your center console, you'll be able to see the racheting ebrake mechanism. It pulls on the ebrake cables, and you should be able to find the adjustment nut pretty easily after pulling the console. Its circled in red below.

Make sure that the wheels spin freely when the brake is off. HMAService.com recommends the following in its service standard:
Parking brake lever stroke when lever assembly is pulled with 196N (20kg, 44lb force): 7-8 clicks
Old 06-29-2008, 06:14 PM

Here's how I did it after replacing my parking brake cables:

1. Raise the rear of the car and rest it on jack stands. I like to leave the car in gear (to lock the front), and choke the front wheels.

2. Have the parking brake released. Turn both rear wheels to get a feel for how they turn.

3. Apply the parking brake cable as far up and see if you can turn the tires again. You shouldn't be able to, *at all*!

4. Release the parking brake again.

5. Some comments above say that you can just raise the center console to access the adjusting nut. Give it a try. To me this seems more difficult, but if you can do it, great! I would recommend removing the center console. Tighten the nut a bit at a time. After every couple of turns on that nut, check to spin the tires again to make sure that the calipers are not braking on your rotors with the parking brake released.

Old 10-08-2009, 12:42 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

FYI, you don't have to take off the center console to get to that bolt : you just have to pop the little trap right above that bolt:

hope this help...