Automotive News & Other Vehicle Discussions A forum for discussions pertaining to other vehicles other than Hyundai's, Press Releases, new model lauches and general Automotive news.

It's Official: The Ford Focus RS Will Have A Mighty 345bhp To Play With

Old 06-25-2015, 07:57 AM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis 2.0T
Default It's Official: The Ford Focus RS Will Have A Mighty 345bhp To Play With

While we’ve been busy wetting ourselves out of excitement for the scorching new all-wheel drive Focus RS, there’s one detail that Ford has remained coy over: the power output. Until today, that is. Thus far we only knew that the engine would belt out ‘in excess’ of 320bhp, but today the company announced that the car’s 2.3-litre Ecoboost engine will be good for 345bhp and rev up to 6800rpm.

There’ll be plenty of twist to play with, to; the engine develops 324lb ft of torque between 2000 and 4500 rpm. And that’s not the end of the story, as there’s also an ‘overboost’ function that’ll bump the torque figure up to 347lb ft for around 15 seconds.

Still no word on performance figures, but with that kind of firepower, 0-62mph should easily be possible in around five seconds. A price hasn’t been revealed either, but around £30,000 is the expectation - a figure which will make the RS one of the best performance car bargains out there.

What we have received from Ford is further confirmation of the ‘Drift Mode’, something which “allows controlled oversteer drifts.” Oh, and there’s launch control, obviously.

Want to see all this demonstrated? The new Focus RS will be put through its paces up Goodwood’s famous hill climb this weekend at the Festival of Speed, with a certain Ken Block behind the wheel.

Source
Old 06-25-2015, 08:34 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 01 Tiburon Turbo, 99 Tiburon F2E, 2013 Avalon XLE Touring

Rich kids car?

Really though, if you could afford this car, which would most likely make you an adult with a decent job, would you spend that kind of money on it? It still looks like an econobox. A very fast one, I give it that. But, most adults making that kind of money would end up buying something suited to their age, like a BMW, upper line Toyota/Lexus/Acura, a used Vette/Camaro/Mustang, etc.

The power matches the pricetag, but the styling does not.
Old 06-25-2015, 08:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2003 Tiburón GT

I like it but £30,000 or $47,100 IS a lot of money for a compact car. I can get a REALLY nice used Porsche for the same amount.
Old 06-25-2015, 10:09 AM

Vehicle: MC + RD2 + AW11 + 944 = 4x Win

Originally Posted by ScoupeLS
I like it but £30,000 or $47,100 IS a lot of money for a compact car. I can get a REALLY nice used Porsche for the same amount.
Typically the exchange rate doesn't apply so much for cars. A £30,000 car will still cost around 30k here. Look at the prices of the Mustang for example, it's one of the few cars ford sells in similar config here and there.

Since the top end Focus now is 30k, I would expect a final price tag between $33-36,000.

That's actually quite reasonable for that much car. The problem that for will run into however is that they are now encroaching on Subaru territory. In the hot hatch market I don't know how many people will pay that much money for a Ford that's not a Mustang. Also keep in mind that the similarly price Civic Type R Just bested A BUNCH OF SUPERCARS with it's killer Nürburgring time of 7;50.63. A test the current RS can no longer complete and the last RS was over 30 seconds slower. It's also a much heavier car, so from many perspectives it's looking to be the inferior vehicle.

I will certainly be testing both when they drop state-side. It will very interesting to say the least.
Old 06-25-2015, 05:25 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Tuscon

The ST was the little engine that couldn't and could not compete with the other "tuner" cars out there. The RS is direct competition is the evo/sti. They all make around the same awhp, almost around the same weight give or take and price tag although unknown will probably very close. I do have a feeling that they have it tapped out on the stock turbo.

But either way that awd is just gonna slow you down on the big end anyways
Old 06-25-2015, 06:10 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Vehicle: '14 Ford F-150

Originally Posted by JonGTR
Really though, if you could afford this car, which would most likely make you an adult with a decent job, would you spend that kind of money on it? It still looks like an econobox. A very fast one, I give it that. But, most adults making that kind of money would end up buying something suited to their age, like a BMW, upper line Toyota/Lexus/Acura, a used Vette/Camaro/Mustang, etc.

The power matches the pricetag, but the styling does not.

I'm 42. Just dumped my Evo before the market turns south (Mitsu is s**tcanning it). Plan on replacing it with this. Luxury cars do nothing for me. The German crap spends more time in the shop than on the road if you start tuning it. SUV's are for dad's who's wives wanted a minivan so they compromised. I have my truck for work and adult type stuff. Also, it helps that I don't have a wife I have to get input from. My metric is performance/$$. Don't care about fuel economy, long distance comfort, impressing the boss or chauffeuring friends/family. This car is for Generation X. Too pricey for Millenials, too immature for Boomers. Finally... something made for me.