Automotive News & Other Vehicle Discussions A forum for discussions pertaining to other vehicles other than Hyundai's, Press Releases, new model lauches and general Automotive news.

2003 Accent Not Starting All The Time

Old 04-21-2006, 08:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys,
My brother has a 03 accent, and he just noticed this morning that it wouldn't turn over for some reason.
He put the key in and got nothing, no attempt to turn over nothign! radio came on and all so thats steering me away from it beng the battery. So he tried to turn it over a couple more times, then boom it started up like nothing was wrong. He got gas, tried to start it again,, nothing, nothing, nothing, boom starts again like nothings wrong. So do you think its the starter? battery? my other thought is maybe the clutch isn't engaging when he goes to start it? cause i know when you try and start a manual without the clutch in, you get nothing. Is there a sensor that tells the starter the clutch is engaged? or is it an actual mechanical thing were the clutch itself engages into the starter?
Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks
Old 04-21-2006, 09:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2006 Hyundai Sonata GL V6

There is a switch behind the clutch pedal that is contacted when the clutch is depressed allowing the starter to operate. Make sure the clutch is being fully depressed and that there is no interference with a floor mat preventing this. Given that it is a 2003 it is likely still under warranty unless it has very high mileage so why not take it to the dealer to have checked out for free?