Computers, Gaming, & Technology Here you can talk about anything with circuit boards, or dilithium crystals, or flux capacitors. Show off your technology, computing, and gaming knowledge.

Help me build/chose a desktop?

Old 05-15-2018, 06:07 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 01 Tiburon Turbo, 99 Tiburon F2E, 2013 Avalon XLE Touring
Default Help me build/chose a desktop?

I gave up on building computers over a decade ago and have lost any current knowledge on what/where to build a desktop. I need to upgrade my CAD/BIM desktop at work and need something powerful that is appropriate for modeling use. Back in the day, the HP's Z-workstations were a very good start. Even Dell could build one, but I'm not sure that's the cost effective way anymore. I'm now seeing good reviews for companies I've never heard of. What I don't want, as I'm sure you wouldn't either, is a desktop pre-loaded with a bunch of their ad-ware. Can you point me in the right direction? I have about $4-6k to spend.
Old 05-15-2018, 06:13 AM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

I'm sure you want a good graphics card so don't skimp on that. When picking out computer parts I use pricewatch. http://www.pricewatch.com/barebones_computers/

They have all categories of computer stuff and they aggregate from several mfgs.
Old 05-15-2018, 07:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

4-6k will build a monster of a PC.

i built mine about 6 years old and it runs solidworks easy peasy and i spent like 1500 on it.

https://pcpartpicker.com/

i did a build with some of the best parts i can think of and made this list:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/J8DyKB

even still that wasnt even like 3k, although i assume you dont need monitors.
Old 05-15-2018, 10:17 AM

The key here is that I no longer have the knowledge, or company time, to BUILD the desktop. So I'm looking more at companies that will do this for me and ship it preloaded with Windows and nothing else.
Old 05-18-2018, 07:28 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

If you get a stock computer from any of the major manufacturers (Dell/Lenovo/HP), you can blow away the OS installation and reinstall the drivers from their website on a fresh Windows installation without all the bloatware. Not trying to dissuade you from choosing anyone, just mentioning that you don't have to avoid the big OEMs if you are only worried about the software they include.

Also here's a plug for a local (local to me) company you might not know: Boxx http://www.boxx.com/products/workstations
Old 05-18-2018, 09:28 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Vehicle: 1999 Hyundai Tiburon

That's pretty much what I did. Got a fresh install of Windows after I received the Dell and I was in business.

Definitely get the best of what you can now and it should last you a long time. Built/ordered a top of the line Dell when the I7 first came out. After 10 years, all I've done is change a power supply, graphics card, and upgraded to SSD's. Only reason I did that was because the power supply needed changed and figured what the hell, might as well upgrade a few things while I'm in there.

Computer is still crazy fast and does all the HD video editing I can throw at it and does it fast.

At the time I hated spending that much money. Now, I am THANKFUL I did!

I'd say if you go with a big company, go with Dell hands down.
Old 05-19-2018, 08:34 AM

Thanks for the recommendations. That is most likely the smart thing to do since it's for the company and all. I'd hate to get bad service or no service should something happen, then it'll be on me. Honestly, I can't afford any hiccups right now. In addition, I'll need them to recommend a certified graphics card for Autodesk. I just bought a Quadro M4000, but I'm sure that's already outdated.
Old 05-19-2018, 10:49 AM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Vehicle: 1999 Hyundai Tiburon

LOL! FYI, Once something comes to market in the computer industry, it's already outdated.

Dells customer service is pretty good, and you can get extended coverages. If it's for your company, that's a no brainier. Then you're not responsible for it when it does break down. 👍😉
Old 05-19-2018, 09:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 1999 Elantra GLS Sportswagon

End of the day the pc has come to a standstill with no new advancement since multi core processors, just tweaking current technology. Before you could measure performance by gigahertz now it's mere hertz. Software makers have gone to bed with chip manufactures to keep this farce going and force the "need " to upgrade. Considering most smartphones are more powerful most peoples desktop pc's.

If you want to start in todays technology without the hassle of building your own I would be inclined to buy a top end Dell Alienware gaming desktop which will suit your needs for a quite a while. Most brand name pc's are made with the same components from the same factories so it's more about warranty and back up service.
Old 05-21-2018, 03:00 PM

I'm looking at the Dell Alienware and priced it at $4200 for mostly base equipment unless it enhanced performance in some way. I'll need to look up the graphics card to ensure compatibility. Even though it's for business, I'm sort of the exception being in the "technology" department. Having a "bling" desktop on display isn't a bad idea for advertisement.