HELP Forum Car won't start, Spark Plug Melted? Car throwing sparks down as you drive down the road? Ask your car questions here.

2007 Accent wont start sometimes, not the battery

Old 04-09-2018, 08:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2005 Accent GSI
Default 2007 Accent wont start sometimes, not the battery

I've started having an intermittent starting issue with my Accent. Maybe 1/4 of the time, I put the key in and all the dash lights go on, but when I turn the key there's nothing, it doesn't even crank. After a process of removing the key and trying again several times, it will always start eventually. I go through a ritual of pumping the brakes and cranking the wheel around because it makes me feel like I'm doing something, but I have no idea if it really helps.

Boosting it doesn't seem to help (I have a portable battery), which is why I doubt it's the battery, so I'm assuming it's a faulty connection/ground somewhere. It seems to be worse when it's wet out, but the last few weeks have been very dry and it's becoming more frequent, which is concerning.

It has an aftermarket alarm system and auto-starter (previous owner) so I'm worried that somewhere in that mess there's a problem.
Old 04-09-2018, 08:49 AM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Vehicle: 1999 Hyundai Tiburon

Do you hear a click in/from the engine bay when this happens? If so, could just be your starter solenoid. Not sure if those are serviceble anymore. When these have failed on me I usually end up just getting a replacement starter.

The fact that you move the steering wheel back and forth could be moving the engine ever so slightly and allowing the starter to work.

Also, is your car automatic? If so, there is a nuetral safety switch that may be faulty and won't allow the car to start. This happened in an older Nissan I had.
Old 04-09-2018, 08:51 AM

I don't think there's a click, but I'll listen for it the next time it happens. It was all good this morning but I never know when it will strike next.
Old 04-09-2018, 09:18 AM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Vehicle: 1999 Hyundai Tiburon

Ok, next time it happens, add this to your ritual! Open the door and put one foot outside the car. Put it in gear if it's a manual, and try rocking the car back and forth, then throw the clutch in and see if it starts. The idea is to get the engine to turn enough so your starter will eventually engage and start the engine.

Also, if you can reach the starter, you can check the solenoid in the starter by jumping the power and trigger wires. Keep the key in the on position and you may need a friend to hold the clutch in or use something to hold the clutch button. Not sure how accessible your starter is though. If you try this make sure your car is in nuetral or park and you are free from any moving parts. You'll be under the hood when it starts!

With that said, if you also have a manual, it could very well be your clutch safety switch is faulty as well. That's a pretty easy fix!
Old 04-09-2018, 09:24 AM

Those are some good suggestions.

The clutch switch is a possibility I've considered, and I'm going to check on that as well.
Old 04-09-2018, 08:21 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

I've replaced a lot of Accent starters. They have all started failing just like that. If the rocking the car a bit with your foot out the door trick works it's a good indicator that the starter is on it's way out.
Old 04-10-2018, 06:50 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

Does it help to bang on the steering column? I would suspect a starter before the switch but an ignition switch failure is also not out of the question, nor is a bad ground. Maybe have a look at the places where wires connect to the starter and inspect for corrosion.
Old 04-19-2018, 08:35 AM

I still can't find a cause or solution that I can replicate. The only thing I know for sure is that the car does the exact same thing if I try to start it without pressing the clutch pedal:

Foot off the clutch, turn the key to Start, and all the electronics in the car shut down for a second (radio, fans, lights), nothing happens, then everything comes back. When the car just wont start, and I DO have my foot on the clutch, the exact same thing happens.

So maybe it is the clutch pedal sensor. I'm going to see I can do some test on the wiring.
Old 04-20-2018, 07:49 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

It could be the clutch pedal switch, its wiring, or anything that the aftermarket immobilizer/alarm thing does with that signal. I hope you get under there and the switch is falling apart or maybe the pad where it makes contact is half-missing. Put multimeter with a "beep" continuity tester on the switch contacts and push the switch repeatedly. If it doesn't reliably switch, then it's the clutch switch being flaky. That would be a nice, easy solution!