Hyundai Elantra Forum The Hyundai Elantra Forum. Later models (96-up) of this 4-door share their Beta engines and chassis with the Hyundai Tiburon. Earlier Mistubishi-based Hyundai Elantras (92-95) are perfect candidates for the popular 4g63t motor swap, which turns the Hyundai Elantra into a real sleeper. These characteristics make the Hyundai Elantra a great car for those who want sports car performance with family car flexibility.

New guy looking for advice

Old 01-23-2018, 01:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2007 Elantra
Default New guy looking for advice

Hello. I currently have an 07 Elantra 2.0/5 speed. I have access to several dealer take-out warranty replacement 2.0/2.4 Theta ( I believe) turbo engines for super cheap (almost free) from a friend. He told me that if they burn any oil at all or, have so much as a tick, they are replaced under warranty. I am a mechanic but, don't have much experience with Hyundais. I'm generally a GM guy but, the more of these Kias and Hyundais I work on, the more I like them. They're easy to work on, reliable, and fairly powerful for what they are... Back to the subject, I've got access to these powerplants, I've got a little Elantra, and can't help but consider the possibilities. I'm really considering putting one of these newer, turbo engines into my HD Elantra. I would really appreciate any input, advice and ideas from you, more experienced guys on this subject. Can I use my transmission? I'm thinking my best bet would be a wrecked sonata or, at least the wiring and ecm/pcm, just don't even know where to begin. Thank you.
Old 01-23-2018, 05:57 AM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis 2.0T

Dropping in a different engine is possible with enough time and money but keep in mind it absolutely will not be easy! You'll need the engine, then you'll need to fabricate engine mounts. your Beta transmission most likely wont bolt up so you'll need a new transmission (probably the one from the car the engine is from). Then you'll have to make sure all the shift linkages are connected properly. Once you have that all down, then you have to deal with the ECU and all the wiring to make sure all your sensors and everything else works with no issues. With all the issues and problems that can happen during an engine swap, usually it's much easier and less of an impact on your wallet to just turbo the engine you already have in your car.

- Turbo

- Wastegate

- Blow off valve

- Manifold

- Intercooler and piping

- Fuel pump & injectors

- Tuning

Done! Maybe also throw in a better clutch too if you have a 5 or 6 speed. You could do all that in the $2k to 4k range depending on the products and what might have to be done by hand (manifold and IC piping for example). Engine swaps can be upwards of $8-15K or more depending on the complexity. Plus, a throwing a turbo on your current engine can take around a week or less if you work on it every day. Engine swaps....MONTHS, maybe even years!
Old 01-24-2018, 07:17 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

Bear in mind that they are replacing engines left and right because there was a bit of a problem with the engines developing a fatal case of glittery oil on enough cars that they authorized replacing one of the two most expensive modules in the whole car.

Also the Beta in your car now is likely able to hold up to 250-275HP with a small turbo setup without any major changes, 350HP if you are lucky and 400-600 with major modification.