Automotive News & Other Vehicle Discussions A forum for discussions pertaining to other vehicles other than Hyundai's, Press Releases, new model lauches and general Automotive news.

What could it be?

Old 01-07-2018, 04:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2011 Genesis 2.0
Default What could it be?

My wife's SUV lost power steering yesterday. In August, the dealer replaced her power steering pump and steering rack under warranty. We both went out for coffee yesterday morning and everything was fine driving there. When we came back out and got in the car, that's when it was really hard to turn the wheel. Luckily there was an auto store in the same plaza where we were. I got out and popped the hood and noticed the power steering fluid resevoir was bone dry. Went inside the auto place and bought 2 quarts of fluid and filled up the resevoir. No dice. Still had no steering. What are the chances that the dealer screwed something up when they put in the pump and rack and things are broken? Since this was back in August, I dont know if their mistake would have taken so long to show up but if the pump or rack is ruined, there should be a warranty at least on it all so I dont see why they wouldnt fix it. What do you guys think? Oh and I checked the PS belt and it was ok. When I try to move the wheel back and forth, I hear a click. We were able to still drive it home and park it in the driveway. I'm going to call the dealer tomorrow.
Old 01-07-2018, 05:32 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

The pump is probably burned out due to being run dry unless all the fluid you put in at the auto parts store leaked out immediately.

It depends on where the fluid went, but there's a good chance it was either bad parts or an error on the dealership's part.

If the vehicle is still under warranty it should be covered. If not, they may replace it for free anyways given how recently they worked on it.
Old 01-07-2018, 08:15 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Vehicle: 1999 Hyundai Tiburon

Take it back to the dealer.
Old 01-08-2018, 07:49 AM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis 2.0T

to the other posts. Take it back to the dealer. They screwed something up and hopefully they will replace it even if it's been 5 months. No power steering is a result of one of 4 things:

1. Bad pump

2. Bad rack & pinion

3. Broken PS belt

4. No fluid

You know 3 and 4 are not the issues because you checked and filled up the fluid so it's obviously 1 or 2, which you said the dealer replaced. But #4 could be the result of 1 or 2 failing. The dealer might come back and say their techs made sure everything will filled which means they are lying to save their asses or they didn't tighten up hoses or something else to cause all the fluid to leak out over time. Either way, they are responsible and the parts should have a 12 month warranty at the minimum. You might just be held liable for the labor for a worst case scenario but I would still b*tch about that and try to get them to replace everything at no cost to you.