Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

rd coupe struggles to accelerate

Old 01-06-2018, 12:17 PM
RD1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 97 coupe
Default rd coupe struggles to accelerate

hi guys need some help with my car trying to figure out what the problem is my car is 97 rd coupe , the problem is while driving when i put my foot down on the gas the car wont build up revs or speed it just struggles to accelerate sorta shakes or something then after say 4 seconds of holding my foot down the power comes back. Was at a stop light tonight and my idle was bad dropping down like it wanted to stall then had trouble taking off in 1st gear no power, but later on the car was driving good so isn't as bad when i been driving car for a while i think, also could smell something weird when driving before like burning rubber but that was only one time.

The things i have recently done to the car is replaced timing belt, starter engine , oil change , replaced air filter, replaced fuel filter, fixed some leaking fuel hose and has been serviced . dunno what else it could be was thinking maybe the catalytic converter?

thankssss
Old 01-06-2018, 05:13 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

How old are your plugs and wires? Do you have any codes stored in the ECU?
Old 01-16-2018, 02:30 AM
RD1

Originally Posted by 187sks
How old are your plugs and wires? Do you have any codes stored in the ECU?

hmm i never checked my ecu before didnt know how too lol but guess id better, did some research found an app called torque which scans for codes n stuff should i do that? i need a diagnostic scanner tool thing also to put in the obd2 port

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ELM327-O...%257Ciid%253A1

this work on my car? hmhm and plugs n wires all new
Old 01-16-2018, 12:31 PM
Administrator

That should work on your car.
Old 01-22-2018, 01:13 PM
RD1

Originally Posted by 187sks
That should work on your car.

got no codes or anything, car is driving really good now for few days since i put 98 octane fuel i was using 95 fuel before but i dunno if thats the reason why it driving better now the difference is huge from rough struggling no power to smooth and all power back ,can fuel make that much difference hmm when i first had the car i was using 91 and car didnt drive that bad so confusing but dunno what else could be the problem
Old 01-22-2018, 05:06 PM
Administrator

I remember Australian octane rating is different than here in the US, seems like 91 is the same as our 87. Based on that I would be surprised if everything is functioning correctly that you would need greater than 95 octane gasoline to run properly.

I have very little experience with this problem on a stock car without a distributor, hopefully someone else will chime in.