External Appearance Modifications to the exterior of your car. Body Kits, Head lights/bulbs, tail lights/bulbs, spoilers, antennas, sidemarkers, etc.

Touching up rock chipped paint the proper way

Old 10-19-2017, 07:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis Coupe 3.8 GT
Default Touching up rock chipped paint the proper way

I watch a ton of videos from Drive Clean on YouTube and most of the time I make sure to write notes so that I can share them with other people who just don't have the time to watch his thorough videos. This procedure is very thorough so it's better to do it when you have more than one rock chip to repair.

ITEMS:

-Touch up sticks (orange sticks in the nail care section at any grocery store works)

-2000 grit sandpaper

-carnuba wax

-rubbing alcohol

-microfiber towl

-heat gun

-#2 pencil

-crazy/super glue

-paint color and clear coat

-hole punch

PREP:

1. Punch out a small hole with the hole punch in the 2000 grit sandpaper (the smaller the sandpaper the better since it'll be used to scuff the rock chip and you don't want to scuff the good paint). Glue it to the back of the #2 pencil eraser with the super/crazy glue

2. Use circular motions with the sandpaper pencil over the rock chip. You don't have to be super rough.

3. Add carnuba wax to the rock chip and the surrounding area

4. Use rubbing alcohol on a touch-up stick to remove the carnuba wax from only the rock chip hole

5. Prepare your color and clear coat (use a small amount and mix them together to make it easier)

PAINT:

1. Dip the touch up stick or the orange stick in the paint and then dab it into the rock chip hole and only into the hole. Don't use too much, you want to fill the hole gradually until the paint is level with the surrounding area. Too much paint all at once is difficult to remove.

2. Use the heat gun to speed up the drying process.

3. Check to make sure there's enough paint in the hole. Add more if need be.

DONE!

The prep work takes longer than the actually painting time but the prep work is what'll make all the difference.

Hope this helped!