Automotive News & Other Vehicle Discussions A forum for discussions pertaining to other vehicles other than Hyundai's, Press Releases, new model lauches and general Automotive news.

GM Announces It Will Go 100% Electric

Old 10-10-2017, 04:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Accent
Default GM Announces It Will Go 100% Electric

General Motors has made the announcement it plans to go 100 percent electric earlier this week, according to NBC News

The goal is to abandon the internal combustion engine entirely. At some point in the future, all of its products will draw power either from batteries or hydrogen. Last year, all forms of electrified vehicles accounted for not even 3 percent of the U.S. new vehicle market so the question now is will consumers accept this change?

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/gm-to-r...ext-18-months/
Old 10-10-2017, 09:17 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

And if pigs had wings they could fly. There is 0% chance they are going to abandon ICE any time in the foreseeable future. All I get out of this is "we've got a couple of models coming out next year and some pie in the sky stuff about electrics and fuel cells" and nothing concrete. They're trying to ride the wave of idiocy that is California (a huge car market) saying they will get rid of ICE cars in the next couple of decades.

which means they will need more power than they produce now, to power these new cars...

and they can't get a power plant built out there to save their lives...

so no, not gonna happen either, without a radical change in government.
Old 10-11-2017, 09:45 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Vehicle: '14 Ford F-150

Actually, China is GM's biggest market. They sell more vehicle there than in the US. China said they're going all electric. A few European countries are doing it too. This has nothing to do with Cali. It's more about China and Europe. I think they'll switch all cars except the Camaro and Corvette to electric within 10 years. The Vette with probably go hybrid, like the La Ferrari, P1, 918 and next gen GTR. Light duty trucks will go electric soon after. HD trucks will stick with diesel, but may go to smaller diesels/electric drivetrains within 25 years. I think the Camaro will either die or stay ICE for as long as it lives.
Old 10-11-2017, 06:43 PM
Super Moderator

China I could see doing it, maybe. They have a command economy and DGAF about all the pollution from what will be thousands of new coal plants, so maybe.
Old 10-12-2017, 08:22 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Vehicle: '14 Ford F-150

China's moving to natural gas, just like the rest of the world. It's cheaper than coal and cleaner.
Old 10-13-2017, 06:16 PM
Super Moderator

oooookay but https://www.thenewamerican.com/tech/...ew-coal-plants