External Appearance Modifications to the exterior of your car. Body Kits, Head lights/bulbs, tail lights/bulbs, spoilers, antennas, sidemarkers, etc.

Random but super helpful detailing tips

Old 09-29-2017, 09:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis Coupe 3.8 GT
Default Random but super helpful detailing tips

I spend a lot of time watching detailing videos and I always write down anything I wouldn't want to forget. Here's what I have so far. Hopefully some of you find it helpful

a clean steering wheel should stick to your hand

Use a soft bristled paint brush with leather cleaner. Make lather. Wipe off.

Soak carpet in carpet cleaner. Scrub with a brush in up and down and side to side motions. Soak up excess with clean microfiber towel

Spray fabric cleaner on soft paint brush and make light circular motions over stain on headliner. Blot with dry microfiber towel.

Wipe down inside windshield with dry microfiber in circular motions and then in back and forth motions; wipe down with wet Mr. clean magic eraser; wipe up with towel before it dries; finish with glass cleaner sprayed directly on a microfiber towel. DO NOT LET TOWEL TOUCH DASH!

Don't forget to clay bar the windshield and headlights

Permanently restore headlights: Wet sand headlights with 600 grit and then 2000 grit sandpaper. Circular motions and then back and forth motions. Always keep the surface wet. Press soft with 600 and softer with 2000. Wipe with rubbing alcohol to remove any oils. Spray with non-yellowing, UV protected gloss clear coat spray paint. 3 VERY LIGHT COATS. Let dry for a day. Wet sand very lightly with 3000 grit sandpaper. Lastly, wax with carnauba wax.

Tire gel is the best for shiny black tires

Spray liquid wax on bird poo and wipe down in one sweeping motion with a microfiber towel. Repeat, using a new side of the towel each time

Always have a different mitt for wheels and paint. Do not use the same wash mitt for both. And always use a different bucket for car/wheels

If painting wheels while they're on the car, wrap a long piece of plastic all around the rotors and brakes. Wipe petroleum jelly all over the sidewall of the tire to make wiping overspray off easier. Wipe wheel down with rubbing alcohol to get all oil and dirt off. Make sure to tape down plastic over the fenders so there's no worry of overspray
Old 09-29-2017, 12:17 PM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis 2.0T

Good stuff!