Automotive News & Other Vehicle Discussions A forum for discussions pertaining to other vehicles other than Hyundai's, Press Releases, new model lauches and general Automotive news.

Anyone currently own or did own an old Datsun?

Old 09-04-2017, 03:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Tiburon
Default Anyone currently own or did own an old Datsun?

I'm going to look this week at an old 240Z that has been restored. Asking price is reasonable but I admit I dont know much about them. I just want one. The owner said it's been restored completely from engine, tranny, interior and suspension. It's an older guy who owns it so not some kid. Is there anything I should look for when I go to test drive it and inspect it over?

Pic for attention

Old 09-05-2017, 05:43 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 01 Tiburon Turbo, 99 Tiburon F2E, 2013 Avalon XLE Touring

The Datsun/Nissans are all very easy to restore and have plenty of aftermarket to help. However, the most important thing to look out for is RUST. Not only do Datsun's rust easy, but they have very thin and weak metal. So inspect it thoroughly.

I had a 1987 300zx and they were notorious for rusting through the frame in the engine bay where it was hot, and in the hatch area where water collected, puddled, and rusted out the floors. Like I said, most parts can be replaced through aftermarket, but you may want to have easy access to a junkyard as well.
Old 09-05-2017, 08:34 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Vehicle: '14 Ford F-150

Two things I check for when a car has been "restored"... Previous crash damage (older cars usually don't have a "Carfax"), and check the vacuum hoses. If it's got old, hard vacuum hoses, it was a half-a**ed restoration, mainly intended to make the car cosmetically nice.
Old 09-08-2017, 09:32 PM
Super Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 14 EGT 2.0

I had a Nissan by Datsun 82 280zx.

That said - hidden rust. Unless cared for those things rusted. I found a damn hole in the wheel well area after I noticed it was weirdly loud at speed from the passenger side.

It's funny you mentioned the vacuum lines. Mine caused me weird trouble until I noticed a very small crack in one. The 28zx was fun to drive and it was far larger, heavier, etc. I liked it - fun to drive. Sort of sad I got rid of it.