Transmission, Clutches, Shifters Posts regarding Transmissions. Clutches, torque converters, shift kits, Gear ratios, Limited Slip Differentals, etc for your Hyundai

Lightweight flywheel for Accents

Old 07-18-2017, 01:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 01 Accent
Default Lightweight flywheel for Accents

There isnt any lightweight flywheels for my Accent but I see them for Tiburons. I can get a beta transmission pretty cheap. Would it be a workable solution to attach the beta transmission to my alpha, with a new clutch and light flywheel or will I run into major problems? Will the ecu work or will I have to do a full blown beta swap with transmission, engine and ecu?
Old 07-18-2017, 02:48 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

I don't think the Beta flywheel will work with the Alpha, but I'm not 100% positive. Your Alpha engine and Beta transmission combination should be possible, I think at least one person got that working but I don't remember the details or which flywheel they used.
Old 07-18-2017, 02:59 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Elantra GLS

The only logical solution is to do a Beta swap... Turbo optional...
Old 07-21-2017, 11:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Vehicle: 1997 Beta Swapped Accent

Yes, you can use a Beta tranny with a Alpha engine. You have to use either a Scoupe Turbo or a 1.6L Alpha flywheel. (The Scoupe Turbo flywheel is lighter then the Alpha 1.6L).

It will require modifying the axles, we have used the combination of the X3/LC Automatic axles. This was mounted in a X3.
Old 07-23-2017, 05:09 PM
Super Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 14 EGT 2.0

Originally Posted by 187sks
I don't think the Beta flywheel will work with the Alpha, but I'm not 100% positive. Your Alpha engine and Beta transmission combination should be possible, I think at least one person got that working but I don't remember the details or which flywheel they used.

Yep; a different number of bolts holding it on would be the biggest problem. Nothing some creative use of JB weld can't fix.