Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Ecu swap on x3

Old 04-20-2017, 08:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: Hyundai excel X3
Default Ecu swap on x3

Would there be any advantage in swapping the ecu from a hyundai excel x3 (accent) with a 1.5 dohc motor to a beta ecu from say an elantra or 1st gen tiburon?

I have heard they will run, but would it help a little in the hp stakes? Every little bit helps (i already have a cold air intke and a larger exhaust). The beta ecu should be more inclinded to hve more fuel going into the motor
Old 04-20-2017, 10:11 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 01 Tiburon Turbo, 99 Tiburon F2E, 2013 Avalon XLE Touring

The ECU does not add fuel to the motor, the injectors do with a signal by the ECU. And the ECU is tuned for a 2.0L motor with the appropriate compression and injectors. Without looking at the pinout, the wiring is most likely different, as well as the sensor types and voltages. You can only hurt your motor by doing this.
Old 04-20-2017, 11:18 AM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

Hyundai ECU wiring varies by market, I wouldn't even hazard a guess about AUS market wiring. In the US the X3 Alpha ECU can be replaced by the Beta I ECU fairly easily. Most people doing this are running the Beta engine. It will run the 1.5 DOHC just fine with a slightly higher rev limiter. The fuel maps are a bit different, I'm unsure if better though.