Race Wars This forum is for the members to discuss their races and wins...just remember that you might get called out if you say you beat a Lambo with your stock Hyundai!

RD on the Nurburgring

Old 04-17-2017, 09:15 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 01 Tiburon Turbo, 99 Tiburon F2E, 2013 Avalon XLE Touring
Default RD on the Nurburgring

One of the HCOC members took his 2000 RD to the track.

edit: He's a member here and will chime in soon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09iKqFsSpdM
Old 04-17-2017, 10:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Coupe\Tib RD 2

Time: 9:56 BTG.

I was honestly amazed at how easy it is to remember the track for one, given that its 20.9km long.

This was my second lap out on track (out of three, the rain stopped anymore) i hit the GP track too, both full and short configurations.

Ultimately, im running around 165bhp and 135ftlb, its not enough for the car really as is. Although i stripped NOTHING. i should have taken the seats and spare wheel ect out really.

I will be making this trip each easter now, so even faster next year!

I do have my eyes on a turbo kit, so that may be a reality for next year...
Old 04-17-2017, 10:42 AM

I was looking at your mod list. I wouldn't go straight to the turbo just yet. If you plan to track this car more often, then I can think of a few items you may want to add first. It looks like you have new(ish) struts, but no springs? Perhaps you may want to invest in a coilover setup for full adjust-ability. I also didn't see anti-swaybars on your list. Your intake filter is a hot one. Think about moving the filter into your fender well for "race days". (I know you get a lot of rain over there.)

Another big item you may want to invest in is an ECU. Either Haltech, AEM, or Megasquirt. You'll want a full standalone, not a piggyback. It looks like a lot of money, but it will help you tremendously down the road when you get a turbo. For now, you can use it to squeeze 10-20whp out of the N/A engine with timing and ethanol fuel.

And yes, remove weight. The spare, jack, and spare covers may be enough.

I'm betting these mods and a little more practice on that track and you will easily cut a minute off your time.
Old 04-17-2017, 10:48 AM

Its on 35mm drop supersport springs the intake is from the foglight. Its enclosed pipe from the fog up to an enclosed filter.

The turbo kit im looking at has everything to run at low boost (7psi) In that it was fitted to an RD1, running that.

I can then after, look toward a proper ECU.

Up first are better pads, will be slapping yellowstuff in the trajet calipers. And new tyres.

My post here isnt up to date on mods. Here is - https://www.hyundaicoupeownersclub.c...23850-425.html
Old 04-17-2017, 10:52 AM

How/why are you planning to run a 7psi turbo kit, then think about an ECU? How are you going to tune this kit without one?
Old 04-17-2017, 10:53 AM

There is one with it.
Old 04-17-2017, 10:55 AM

There is one with it. A dastek piggyback.

Enough to run on and tune for a start. I have a year and i may not even be able to get this kit.

I dont have a massive amount of disposable income, so itll be gathering all the parts slowly, and i may not even be able to afford the insurance with a turbo on it at this point.

Edit: i fluffed the post, fancy combining the two?
Old 04-17-2017, 11:10 AM

You are about to make the same mistake every one else does. Buying a generic piggyback with a "bolt on" turbo kit. You don't want to cheap out on the ECU. You will waste a LOT of time and a LOT of money trying to get it to work, and then it won't do what you want it to do in the end. That's why I suggested getting the ECU before the turbo kit. So you'll have a way to make all your modifications work well together before AND after the turbo.
Old 04-17-2017, 11:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Vehicle: 2000/Hyundai/Coupe F2 Evo

if you're serious about trackdays i'd go the suspension route, save up for a decent set of coilovers and then you ideally need a spare set of rims with proper track tyres on them. It's surprising the amount of grip we used to get with the cup cars on avo coilovers and toyo 888 tyres. We used to get held up round corners on trackdays by much more powerful cars.

Handling/chassis first, then power
Old 04-17-2017, 11:26 AM

Normally id well agree with you. But being that it was taken from a working car...

Im not about to slap a turbo on and plug in an ecu and expect it to work at all. But i have a budget to work to, and a haltech is half a year saving...