Hyundai Accent Forum The Hyundai Accent Forum. Hyundai's little champ. While the Hyundai Accent and Hyundai Excel may be small, they respond very well to aftermarket modifications and is among the favorites for Hyundai tuners.

Engine

Old 03-25-2017, 01:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2007/Hyundai/ Accent
Default Engine

Im new to Hyundai's always been a mustang guy. I got a 07 accent and i wanna ply with it a bit turbo and the like. Ive read of people doin a beta swap. I would like to know exactly what this is .thanks
Old 03-25-2017, 03:27 PM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

Welcome The Beta is the Tiburon RD1 and RD2 and Elantra J2 engine. It's a direct fit, but I'm not sure about adjustments regarding the transmission. Supposedly it's a common swap and very easily done, which increases the power-to-weight ratio and you can throw a turbo on it.
Old 03-26-2017, 07:53 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 01 Tiburon Turbo, 99 Tiburon F2E, 2013 Avalon XLE Touring

The Beta has about 40hp and tq more than the Accent has. Doesn't seem like much, but in that lightweight car, it is. Add a 1.8L cam, intake and exhaust, and you're gaining another 15hp. The car will be pretty damn quick after this.

Also, the Beta has a LOT more support for internals, manifolds, etc.

I'm not quite sure if it is a fully direct swap. I believe 3 of the motor mounts line up. So do the trans housing mounts. But, you may need to do something about the axles.

Do a search and you should find the swap DIY. There are a couple members around that have done it.
Old 03-26-2017, 08:21 AM

Vehicle: 2007/Hyundai/ Accent

Thanks
Old 03-26-2017, 09:41 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Elantra GLS

Most Beta swaps I see are into the older X3 and LC Accents. It's probably not as easy of a swap.

If you want to Beta swap + turbo or nitrous, go for it. They are strong motors and hold up well to FI.

But an NA Beta is underwhelming.

Not sure how this ended up here. I tried to post it in the thread titled: "engine" if someone could move it, that'd be great.
Old 03-27-2017, 02:05 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

The Beta swap is much more common in the 2005 and earlier model Accents. I have seen photos of a Beta in a 2007 (MC) Accent, but I don't know the story. The engine mounting system looks like it is very different than on earlier Accents but that doesn't mean the engine mounting points have changed, 2 of the 3 might still work with the Beta.

Generally in the 2000-2005 Accents the Beta 2 engine from the XD Elantra or GK Tiburon is used, preferably the model without CVVT. Most sensors are compatible. You can look through the DIY threads in the Hyundai Hybrids forum to get an idea of what's involved.

For your car nobody has sorted out the wiring or mounts required to do the swap, or at least they haven't posted it here. I don't know anyone personally who has attempted to do one in your car.

If I was you I would more likely consider doing a custom turbo setup. If you do either please let us know how it goes, we would love to be able to share what you learn with the community. I'm sure we can help along the way also.
Old 03-27-2017, 05:19 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Hyundai Accent

I'm actually planning on doing the beta swap in my MC Accent here in the next few months.

Taking my boosted motor from my tib and throwing it in the accent.. I'll make sure to document what I did on it.
Old 03-28-2017, 10:31 AM

Vehicle: 2003/Hyundai/Tiburon

If your plan is to swap and then play around with a turbo I'd just install a turbo on the 1.6. You may have to have a custom turbo manifold built but in the end it'll be much cheaper than swapping in a Beta motor.