Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

Say goodbye to Sears soon

Old 03-22-2017, 03:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Tiburon
Default Say goodbye to Sears soon

The company is warning in it's annual report to shareholders that the company may soon no longer be around

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-se...-idUSKBN16S2WG
Old 03-23-2017, 07:08 AM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

Aww f*ers. I knew this was gonna happen at some point. My local SEARS has been empty for a long time now...
Old 03-23-2017, 10:38 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 01 Tiburon Turbo, 99 Tiburon F2E, 2013 Avalon XLE Touring

They have nothing of use! What do they expect? They couldn't compete with electronics because of Best Buy and online. They can't compete with clothing because of Walmart, or name brand stores. The only thing they could have really made a killing on is Craftsman, but they ruined it with Chinese crap and bad power tools. They could have really focused on Craftsman, but they thought it could ride out the storm as is was for 30yrs. Nothing new of use entered the Craftsman line in 2 decades.
Old 03-23-2017, 04:25 PM
Super Moderator

Vehicle: 14 EGT 2.0

The last time I shopped there it was for a jack. Thought it would be better than walmart or HB stuff because craftsman. Nope.. same sh*t just painted blue.
Old 03-23-2017, 04:50 PM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

Craftsman isn't the Craftsman it was in the 1950's.

I have a drill from the 1950's. Still works flipping great. Now it's all Made in China.
Old 03-23-2017, 05:10 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Elantra GLS

Didn't Stanley buy Craftsman? Which means they might be sold at Walmart soon...?
Old 03-24-2017, 06:27 AM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis 2.0T

I'm actually surprised Snap On didnt buy Craftsman. But then again, Snap On is so damn expensive that everyone would just buy Craftsman and it would kill revenue for them.
Old 03-24-2017, 06:59 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 01 Tiburon Turbo, 99 Tiburon F2E, 2013 Avalon XLE Touring

Originally Posted by Visionz
I'm actually surprised Snap On didnt buy Craftsman. But then again, Snap On is so damn expensive that everyone would just buy Craftsman and it would kill revenue for them.
I think it could have gone well for them. They could have made a cheaper "Entry Level" line product that people could afford for general mild use. Buying a cheaper product from them is better than not buying anything from them at all. Instead, your average consumer just buys from the competition every time and that's even worse than not buying your product. Their new cheaper entry-level product may not work as well, or last as long, but they could easily play it off like, "You're not an average consumer, so you should now upgrade to our Pro-line products".
Old 03-24-2017, 10:29 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Vehicle: '14 Ford F-150

Originally Posted by JonGTR
I think it could have gone well for them. They could have made a cheaper "Entry Level" line product that people could afford for general mild use.

They have no need for Craftsman. They already have an entry level line. It's called Blue-Point.

Last time I went to Sears to trade a busted socket and a ratchet, they didn't have the socket in stock and just handed me a "repair kit" for the ratchet. Haven't been back since. The ONLY reason I ever go to a retail establishment is for customer service. If you're not willing to provide that, I'll buy online. This is also why I never shop at places like Walmart. Their pay rate isn't high enough to attract intelligent people who care about their job. I was tired of spending 10 minutes trying to find someone to help me, then getting blank stares and "I don't know" as a response to every question.

We're soon going to be left with two types of retail establishments... Large box stores, filled with mindless automaton employees and very small, very specialized establishments tat cater to high end clients.
Old 03-26-2017, 10:45 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

sears is dead because they didnt adapt to the times

being a catalog store and getting shut down cuz of amazon is embarrassing.

adapt or die.

sidenote, craftsman was always just a name.

husky tools made "good" craftsman. they went to sh*t when they tried to cheap out and had stanley make them.

now i dont even think stanley makes em anymore. probably taiwan sh*t now