Automotive News & Other Vehicle Discussions A forum for discussions pertaining to other vehicles other than Hyundai's, Press Releases, new model lauches and general Automotive news.

Mitsubishi eclipse will become an suv in 2018

Old 02-15-2017, 11:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2012 mitsubishi eclipse spyder gs, 2001 hyundai tiburon
Default Mitsubishi eclipse will become an suv in 2018

Just a bad rumour, I thought. Mitsubishi can't be so separated from their fanbase, can they?

Apparently so.

Mortified as i was, scrolling through youtube and coming across the collection of bad ideas that is apparently mitsubishi's marketing team.

Just another little demonstration of a car company who has lost touch with their clientele. Killed two awd performance cars, and neutered a third to an anorexic fwd before it was retired in a whimper.

They wondered why they were losing the market, I would say not everyone wanted a family car. If they would have brought back the 3000gt or redesigned eclipse like they were planning to 2 years ago...

Looks like my next car is going to be a genesis brand. Was holding out to see what mitsubishi was going to do, but, if I wanted a family vehicle, I'd get a pickup.

I'd post a picture of the atrocity, but after 15 minutes of fighting on my phone to post one, I decided "F**k it. No-one needs to see THAT anyway."
Old 02-17-2017, 03:14 PM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

I'm with you in wondering: what. the. f. happened. Mitsu.
Old 02-17-2017, 08:15 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Vehicle: '14 Ford F-150

Originally Posted by HyundaiKitCoupe
what. the. f. happened. Mitsu.

Same thing that happens to every corporation eventually. A couple bean counters got elected to the board and decided that fun isn't profitable.
Old 02-17-2017, 09:02 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 01 Tiburon Turbo, 99 Tiburon F2E, 2013 Avalon XLE Touring

It's not. Turbo and awd vehicles are too costly to warranty and maintain.
Old 02-18-2017, 12:28 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Vehicle: '14 Ford F-150

It's not the turbos and awd. They still make turbo and awd vehicles, they're just not sporty. Sports cars are low volume, low margin vehicles. CUV's with tiny turbo 4-bangers are highly profitable and raise a car makers fleet fuel economy average. This is what Mitsu is moving to. Small turbo motors are what pretty much every car maker is moving to.
Old 02-18-2017, 02:16 PM

Vehicle: 2012 mitsubishi eclipse spyder gs, 2001 hyundai tiburon

I understand that sporty vehicles are low profit items, however, their entire fleet is predominantly econo cans and SUVs.

When they made the play to break into the North American market, though, they didn't do it on the back of a crossover or sport ute. They arrived with moderately restricted versions of their best cars.

Now, decades later, when trying to re-invigorate their lineup, they desecrate the very name of their last semi successful sports car to sell a soccer wagon, instead of returning to their roots and bringing over a couple(or even just one) reminder of what made mitsubishi a desired brand when they rode the backs of chrysler into North America.

By the way, there are working prototypes for both a new eclipse sports coupe(although still only fwd with n/a engine) as well as the 3000gt(very "new supra" looking). Also, the power trains for both are already existent.

In my opinion, there is enough room for performance in mitsubishi's lineup, especially with the recently discontinued evo, they could bring either or both back, as well as introducing a new SUV under a new name instead of pulling the Charger or Dart's nostalgia move for a vehicle that has little to do with the original.

Just to entice the "Remember When..." crowd.