Hyundai Sonata Forum The Hyundai Sonata Forum. The Sonata (around since 1989) and Hyundai XG300/XG350 (new for 2002) pickup the near-luxury segment for Hyundai. Find out where to get all the luxuries Korea is holding back on (HID, navigation systems, etc.) and how to tune your Hyundai Sonata, Azera, or XG for performance.

Tweeters. What to look for/at?

Old 02-13-2017, 04:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Sonata
Default Tweeters. What to look for/at?

Currently on the hunt for tweeters. I find myself sensitive to highs. What specs should I be looking at to determine the difference between a mellow tweeter and a harsh tweeter?
Old 02-14-2017, 08:33 AM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Vehicle: 1999 Hyundai Tiburon

Specs, shmecs! Get in the car, head to a car audio store, and go listen to a variety of speakers. Your ear is way more accurate then a data sheet. What sounds good to you may OR may not reflect what "optimal" specs are. Go in with an open mind. Listen critically and you may be surprised what sounds good and what doesnt. I love the way my system sounds and I did not spend an arm and a leg on my setup.

I will say this, just like tuning an engine, if you cannot fine tune your audio setup, you won't be optimizing the sound. Why spend tons of money on equipment that you can't optimize? Either get a deck that has a good EQ and crossover system built in, or get yourself a good old fashioned EQ with crossovers. Balance the system and pull the frequencies out of the spectrum that are harsh. It's a little extra cash and setup, but well worth it when your system sounds great to you!

Now, my other .02, my Polk tweeters are great IMO. Fills the front stage of my car well without being harsh.