Braking, Wheels, Tires, Suspension Modifications to Brake Rotors, Calipers, Wheels, Tires, Springs, Struts, Coilovers, Swaybars, Strut Tower Braces, etc.

What does everyone do with their snow tires when it's time to switch

Old 02-13-2017, 06:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis Coupe 2.0T
Default What does everyone do with their snow tires when it's time to switch

Do you put them in your garage or basement until next year or do you sell them and buy new? Do you have to store winter tires any differently than summer tires? And by that I mean anything other than off the ground and not stacked on top of each other.
Old 02-13-2017, 07:44 AM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Vehicle: 1999 Hyundai Tiburon

I put them in plastic bags to help them from drying out. Store them in the garage on tire racks. Normally get 4 to 5 seasons before needing to replace them.
Old 02-13-2017, 04:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

I actually never considered them until I tried them. Day VS. Night man.

That keeps them from drying out? Do they need to be tied?
Old 02-14-2017, 08:45 AM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Vehicle: 1999 Hyundai Tiburon

I feel it does. Tires will eventually dry rot. It's just what rubber does. I know my folks use to live in AZ and it would get SO hot that they would dry rot even in the garage! Tires down there only last maybe 2 seasons. 3 if you're lucky. I just tie em up good. You could comepletely seal them or I've seen people go as far as vacuum sealing. Depends how anal you are!

So the environment your tires are stored in does affect the longevity. Here in CO, I feel that we don't get as hot as AZ, but anything I can do to help the rubber from drying out couldn't hurt. So far so good, I'm on my 4th season with my snows and they came out of the bags feeling pretty good. The bags are helpful, but more helpful if you can keep the tires in a climate controlled storage. Not really an option for many of us, but you can only do what you can, right?