Braking, Wheels, Tires, Suspension Modifications to Brake Rotors, Calipers, Wheels, Tires, Springs, Struts, Coilovers, Swaybars, Strut Tower Braces, etc.

Lug nuts and salt damage

Old 01-10-2017, 07:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis Coupe 3.8 GT
Default Lug nuts and salt damage

If this has already been answered, please just let me know because I've looked and looked and haven't found anything even remotely close to what I'm wondering: I just bought Dorman brand lug nuts in a purple finish and before I put them on I want to make sure that the salt on the roads won't damage the finish on the lug nuts.

Thanks for your help!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
81gbsfretDL._SL1500_.jpg (221.7 KB, 0 views)
Old 01-10-2017, 08:14 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

The only thing road salt won't damage much is stainless steel. If they're plated or painted steel eventually they'll scratch and corrosion will start at the scratch. If they're chemically coated, the coating will eventually wear through. Pretty lug nuts may stay pretty for years, but if you keep them long enough they'll eventually start looking terrible. The only way you're likely to find out how long they will last in your use case is to install them.
Old 01-11-2017, 05:58 AM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis 2.0T

They will definitely get ruined by the salt. It's better to keep your factory ones on during the winter if you plan on driving the car through it. Also, FYI...if you use metal or steel valve stem caps, prepare for the worse. They will rust on your stems and will be next to impossible to get off unless you destroy the stem. Water and salt will get under the caps and cause it to fuse and rust to the stem. That's why it's always better to use rubber caps, even through they're not exactly the best looking.
Old 01-11-2017, 07:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis Coupe 3.8 GT

Originally Posted by Visionz
They will definitely get ruined by the salt. It's better to keep your factory ones on during the winter if you plan on driving the car through it. Also, FYI...if you use metal or steel valve stem caps, prepare for the worse. They will rust on your stems and will be next to impossible to get off unless you destroy the stem. Water and salt will get under the caps and cause it to fuse and rust to the stem. That's why it's always better to use rubber caps, even through they're not exactly the best looking.

Thanks actually super helpful. I never even thought about the valve stem cap. I'll definitely keep it plastic then. Thanks!